cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carrying A Balance, Which Way Is Better?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Carrying A Balance, Which Way Is Better?

Say your carrying a balance of $2000. Is it better to have $400. on 5 cards or $2000. on one card? 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Re: Carrying A Balance, Which Way Is Better?

In that situation.. I think it depends on you personally... as several accounts with bals look bad, but a high util on one card looks bad. So determine what  your interest rates..

personally, I'd rather have a single account with a low rate and high bal., than a few cards with low balances and high rates.

hope that helps!

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 2 of 10
OptimasPrime
Frequent Contributor

It really depends on the overall revolving credit and individual limits that a given individual has. Without that information it is hard to say.

For example, if one cards cl is 10k and you're carrying a 2,000 balance it would look alot better than a 2k balance with a 2.5k cl. Conversely, say you have several cards with 2.5 k limits, it would then look better if you had several small balances spread out across them, rather than one maxed out tradeline. 

So there is no real concrete answer, as it really depends on a given individuals situation.

EQ 778 | TU 776
Barclay US Airways WMC 7.5k | BCE 5.8k | BofA Travel Rewards 9.1k | Chase Marriott Premier 13k | Citi TYP WMC 6.5k | Freedom Visa Sig 8k| Discover it 10k
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was talking to a friend about this last night. I currently carry a balance of about $1k. It gets moved around depending on the amount that I pay per month. I use my cards for monthly expenses so I pay about $800. which knocks the balance down and moves it to another card. With Christmas coming, my balance might go up a little for a few months.  It would be $2k. More like $1700. So in my case, I could have it all shift to one Visa with a $2k limit or have $1k on that card, $400. on another card and one with $300. Those 3 cards would have a utilization of about 50% if I do that.   So it's have one card with a 85% and everything else shows $0. or 3 cards that have 50% utilization. 

Message 4 of 10
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Do you really mean "carrying a balance"?    Are you paying interest every month?  

Or do you mean "balance reporting?

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

A paying interest type balance.  I'm wondering if I should push it all to one card or distribute the lack of wealth.  If I push it all to one card, one with a $2k limit would have a $1700. balance and there would be 5-6 at $0.00. The other two would go back with a reported balance of about $800. but that would be PIF monthly. 

Message 6 of 10
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Say your carrying a balance of $2000. Is it better to have $400. on 5 cards or $2000. on one card? 

It looks bad either way. If you had to do it, i'd go with whatever card has the lowest or 0% APR and put the full charge on it.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 10
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

A paying interest type balance.  I'm wondering if I should push it all to one card or distribute the lack of wealth.  If I push it all to one card, one with a $2k limit would have a $1700. balance and there would be 5-6 at $0.00. The other two would go back with a reported balance of about $800. but that would be PIF monthly. 

If you are paying interest, you should worry about getting out of debt, and not worry about your utilization

Move all the balance to lowest interest card and put no new charges on that card.   Pay as much as you can on this card, as soon as you can. as every day counts in interest accrual.

Use the PIF cards for all your spending and wait until due date to pay.   This helps make more money available for other card.  

This is general reduces your interest and gets you out of debt as soon as possible.    

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's pretty much what I was thinking.  That $1700. would give me a utilization of about 19% and if my expenses post, which they will, it's still only 28%. Not the 9% or less that we strive for but also not 85% where it was a few months ago. 

Message 9 of 10
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

19% is still a very good utillization, and unless you are applying is immaterial.    Better to get out of debt with minimum interest charges.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.