Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carrying a balance on AMEX/Discover and Discover IT question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Carrying a balance on AMEX/Discover and Discover IT question

This is the first time for me carrying a balance on any card. I got the BCE with a $10k limit and the 0% intro APR. I have about $1700 on it, and I'm wondering if it will look bad for me to carry that balance?

I have enough in savings to pay it off right away, but I'd rather not touch my savings account. I know carrying a balance will drop my score, but how much of an affect does it have on me applying for other AMEX products?

The other dilemma is, I just bought a bed on Sunday, and Macy's was offering 0% fianancing for 12mos if I opened a card. I said "sure, why not?", applied and was approved. After I got home, I realized it was a stupid move, since I applied for a Discover IT card last week which I should hopefully be recieving this week.

Discover has their double cash back promo, so technically I could get 10% off of the price of my bed which was ~$1300 with tax. I'm hoping my card comes in soon and I can go to Macys before delivery and change my payment method to ths Discover card.

Again though, I would carry the balance for a few months, not because I have to, but because I want to. The issue with this card is that my CL is only $2500, and from reading the forums, it would look extremely bad for my credit util to be 50%, or should I not be too worries since when looking at my overall credit util with all my other cards, it's a drop in the bucket.

Thank you in advance for your help everyone Smiley Happy!

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Carrying a balance on AMEX/Discover and Discover IT question

People stress way too much on here about util and scores lol. If you plan on paying everything off in a few months anyway, it shouldn't matter too much if you choose to carry a balance. Your scores will recover as long as you pay on time and more than the minimum. As for carrying a balance with Amex, I've read that they don't like that too much, but I don't think they'd take any AA against you.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

On your credit report, i believe it is total util that counts, not each individual card, so if u only have 2000 out of 12000 or so, that isn't so bad. I just used my new BCP to buy a laptop. I just have to pay it off over the next few months. No big deal.

Message 3 of 21
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Actually, fico uses individual utilization also. But, if Amex has no problems, and you aren't going to app for awhile, then all is good.
Signature needs updating
Message 4 of 21
mikelo22
Established Contributor

Don't worry about it. I am in a similar situation. I put about $1600 on my Amex BCE and have just been slowly paying it off. Just make sure you pay more than the minimum payment each month and no worries. Feel free to take advantage of that 0% intro. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the information. Minimum due on the BCE was $35, I paid $100. Well actually my balance was $4800ish, I paid $3k before the statement cut, and then $100 after the statement cut and my balance was $1800. And since this is a credit card, I thought AMEX doesn't have an issue with carrying a balance?
Message 6 of 21
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Well yes it IS a regular revolver and you are allowed to carry a balance, especially if you're taking advantage of 0% promo. From what I've heard though, Amex prefers you to PIF, even if it's not a charge card. (I don't know how true this is, as I don't have any sort of Amex card)

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

This is the first time for me carrying a balance on any card. I got the BCE with a $10k limit and the 0% intro APR. I have about $1700 on it, and I'm wondering if it will look bad for me to carry that balance?

I have enough in savings to pay it off right away, but I'd rather not touch my savings account. I know carrying a balance will drop my score, but how much of an affect does it have on me applying for other AMEX products?

The other dilemma is, I just bought a bed on Sunday, and Macy's was offering 0% fianancing for 12mos if I opened a card. I said "sure, why not?", applied and was approved. After I got home, I realized it was a stupid move, since I applied for a Discover IT card last week which I should hopefully be recieving this week.

Discover has their double cash back promo, so technically I could get 10% off of the price of my bed which was ~$1300 with tax. I'm hoping my card comes in soon and I can go to Macys before delivery and change my payment method to ths Discover card.

Again though, I would carry the balance for a few months, not because I have to, but because I want to. The issue with this card is that my CL is only $2500, and from reading the forums, it would look extremely bad for my credit util to be 50%, or should I not be too worries since when looking at my overall credit util with all my other cards, it's a drop in the bucket.

Thank you in advance for your help everyone Smiley Happy!

Actually I would leave the bed on your Macy's Special Events line of credit. How much is your store limit? Is the $2500 your Special Events limit?

I just bought a mattress there for the same amount as you,  and when I got the bill the mattress was merged with my store balance.

Your two limits will be merged next month if you used the Special Events line so that in itself should help your utilization and you can save your new Discover for other stuff.

Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

you can probably go in to the macy's store and make a payment on your store card with your discover. i know i paid my kay jewelers bill with my amex credit card in store numerous times.
Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Whenever I've gone to pay my parents Macy's card, they always ask for a debit card to pay it off.....I've never tried using a CC....
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.