Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carrying a balance with Barclays

tag
creditlady
New Contributor

Carrying a balance with Barclays

I have a toy $500 limit with them for the past 5 years. I really hadn't used this card as of late since the line is so low. Do they like to see me carry a balance with them before they will grant a CLI? Should I rack up close to 100% each month then pay it down to 1% before the statement cuts?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

Re: Carrying a balance with Barclays

Yes! Barclay requires use and likes to see some balance. There are some good threads around with good information for Barclaycard including a post where they explained reasoning behind CLI/D
If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 2 of 4
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Barclays seems like it's a card that you have to maintain while others you can just have. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 3 of 4
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

Use will matter more than balance (if that even matters).  They can tell when a card is being used and I don't see why carrying a balance would make much of difference.  I've had no issues getting CLIs (I think both of mine have been HPs - I didn't wait around for auto-CLIs) because I got tired of having to make payments every 1-2 weeks to stay under the limit and I usually always pay off the balance before the statement cuts.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.