Carrying a balance

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Re: Carrying a balance

@Chris679 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

You have to pay down that $2,600, catch up your PIF cycle by paying in full.

Once you pass this first statement due date not paying the first statement in full, then the interest clock begins on all open charges. It's not a multiple, it's still only the APR at a daily rate applied to the open balance, but it does start adding the interest until you catch it up.

What is your APR on this card?

I will have to check although the APR is not good that is for sure since its a rewards card. In another week or so I would have the first cycles payment. Sadly it seems by doing this I would be hit with a ton of interest because then I would lost the grace period on the second statement amount and now would have to come up with $2600 instead of the $1600. It looks like I will need to dig into my emergency fund as much as I hate doing so, especially since the money is coming in but is just not coming in fast enough. 

Let's say the APR is 20% (I'm just making up an APR I forget what mine is). How much interest would that be if I carried $2600 for 30 days? 

$43

Wow. What a racket these cards frickin are. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 11 of 27
red259
Super Contributor

My APR is 15.99 so I may carry the balance although I will pay a few hundred more before the statement cuts so I can get it down to about $30 to carry it for 30 days. I'm not going to be using the card for a few months anyway so I should have a couple of months of zero balance and I may be closing the card all together. 

;
Message 12 of 27
NRB525
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

Once you pass this first statement due date not paying the first statement in full, then the interest clock begins on all open charges. It's not a multiple, it's still only the APR at a daily rate applied to the open balance, but it does start adding the interest until you catch it up.

I will have to check although the APR is not good that is for sure since its a rewards card. In another week or so I would have the first cycles payment. Sadly it seems by doing this I would be hit with a ton of interest because then I would lost the grace period on the second statement amount and now would have to come up with $2600 instead of the $1600. It looks like I will need to dig into my emergency fund as much as I hate doing so, especially since the money is coming in but is just not coming in fast enough. 

Let's say the APR is 20% (I'm just making up an APR I forget what mine is). How much interest would that be if I carried $2600 for 30 days? 

Simple round numbers, figure 2% per month, so 2%. It will be less than that, I don't think the CSP interest is 20%, more like 16%. So with daily compounding you can figure 1.5% for 30 days. $40 of interest. Not a lot, if you can get back on that no-interest cycle again it's no worry.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 13 of 27
Chris679
Established Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@Chris679 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

$43

Not if you play the game right.  Then that racket pays you 2-5% in rewards for all purchases.

Message 14 of 27
red259
Super Contributor

@Chris679 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Chris679 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

$43

Not if you play the game right.  Then that racket pays you 2-5% in rewards for all purchases.

Yes I am fully aware of the rewards which is the only reason I use credit cards to start with. 

;
Message 15 of 27
bada_bing
Frequent Contributor

One of the "rewards" of using credit cards is the grace period. Depending on spending pattern and APR, the grace period can be worth more than the 1% cashback on a typical reward card. Yet a lot of people don't even consider what they are doing when they throw away the grace period by carrying a small balance past the due date. 

+ 850 FICO8 since 2015, Thanks MyFICO - 5+ years since last HP
Message 16 of 27
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

If you have a 0% APR offer on a non Chase card with a low BT fee I would do this but only because of the interest rate. I doubt that Chase will freak out for carrying a balance because on the card with my highest APR 22,99% (Freedom) Chase agressively sends me BT offers for 2% BT fee and 0% APR. That is a bit strange because I thought they gave me this horrible APR because they wanted to make sure I do not carry a balance. But from these monthly offers it looks more they really want me to carry a balance.  So I doubt that is an issue for Chase if this is the only card where you carry a balance and is far from being maxed out and more than min payment.

Message 17 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't understand the refusal to use the "emergency funds" to cover this debt.  Isn't this what the fund is for?  This IS an emergency, a minor one, but an emergency of sorts.  Is that money untouchable until someone goes to the hospital?  Plus, you say the money is coming anyway, so more reason to use the emergency funds now and IMMEDIATELY replenish them once the incoming money arrives.

For sure, that emergency money reserve is never going to make you more money in a month that what you would have to pay the credit card... and whatever implications it may have for your current APR offers.  It's a no brainer to me.

Not all emergencies must be serious or involve blood.  You have one now.  Or am I missing something???

Message 18 of 27
Chris679
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't understand the refusal to use the "emergency funds" to cover this debt.  Isn't this what the fund is for?  This IS an emergency, a minor one, but an emergency of sorts.  Is that money untouchable until someone goes to the hospital?  Plus, you say the money is coming anyway, so more reason to use the emergency funds now and IMMEDIATELY replenish them once the incoming money arrives.

For sure, that emergency money reserve is never going to make you more money in a month that what you would have to pay the credit card... and whatever implications it may have for your current APR offers.  It's a no brainer to me.

Not all emergencies must be serious or involve blood.  You have one now.  Or am I missing something???

Great point, totally agree

Message 19 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If it costs you money to keep up an emergency fund by way of paying unnecessary interest....Of what use was the emergency fund.

Smiley Tongue

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.