Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carrying too many cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Carrying too many cards

I'm certainly doing better but my back has its moments every now and then.
Message 21 of 49
core
Valued Contributor

My wallet's still holding up fine with 32 cards in it.  I ordered the wallet from Sporty's Pilot Shop many many years ago.  Back then pilot's licenses were paper deals and they were annoyingly just a bit larger than a credit card (until they shrank from age) so stores sold oversize wallets to hold them.  Now the licenses are regular plastic cards so I don't know if they still sell the wallets.  But when mine finally falls apart completely that's where I'll be looking again.

Message 22 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

@core wrote:

My wallet's still holding up fine with 32 cards in it.  I ordered the wallet from Sporty's Pilot Shop many many years ago.  Back then pilot's licenses were paper deals and they were annoyingly just a bit larger than a credit card (until they shrank from age) so stores sold oversize wallets to hold them.  Now the licenses are regular plastic cards so I don't know if they still sell the wallets.  But when mine finally falls apart completely that's where I'll be looking again.

You carry 32 cards in a wallet in your back pocket? Or is it a tall skinny wallet, looks like a checkbook with card slots?

Message 23 of 49
core
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
You carry 32 cards in a wallet in your back pocket? Or is it a tall skinny wallet, looks like a checkbook with card slots?

Just a regular old style bi-fold, yes. There's no room for any cash, but that's OK because I don't carry cash. The stitching is worn out so the cards are real easy to get out. Too easy. I just take the appropriate stack out like a pack of playing cards and flip through them to find the one I want.  Needless to say, I do not sit on this for long periods of time at home.

Message 24 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

@core wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Just a regular old style bi-fold, yes. There's no room for any cash, but that's OK because I don't carry cash. The stitching is worn out so the cards are real easy to get out. Too easy. I just take the appropriate stack out like a pack of playing cards and flip through them to find the one I want.  Needless to say, I do not sit on this for long periods of time at home.

Oh my, that is incredible. My brother-in-law sports a wallet that looks just as awesome. I think he has 20+ cards and his wallet is in even worse shape. I have bought him four different wallets and he still is using the same ol' one... I can't believe you can put it in your pocket, it looks similar in size to a softball.

Message 25 of 49
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Why close any? Just SD them if no cost to you.

Solution: Carry your spend bonus cards and one LOW APR card just in case.

Well some will be closed because the AFs are not worth it (this was decided last year). Basically what started making me nervous was the citi thread of the person getting their accounts closed. Its just paranoia on my part, but it did make me stop to think. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 26 of 49
red259
Super Contributor

@core wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That is a George Costanza type of wallet!

;
Message 27 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Why close any? Just SD them if no cost to you.

Solution: Carry your spend bonus cards and one LOW APR card just in case.

Well some will be closed because the AFs are not worth it (this was decided last year). Basically what started making me nervous was the citi thread of the person getting their accounts closed. Its just paranoia on my part, but it did make me stop to think. 

I have this counter intuitive method for finding out in CCCs are getting perturbed with me. I just keep applying for more cards. If they keep giving me better APR/larger starting CLs I assume they love me. Once they start giving me lower starting CLs I will assume they are getting pissed and I will then garden. Unfortunately I have run out of cards I want to apply for because currently I am still on the upswing getting better APRs and higher initial CLs. 

With Citi specifically I have three cards, Citi TYPremier, Double Cash and Business AAdvantage. I got tiny CLs when I opened the first TYP and DCash. Opened the business card after 13 new accounts in a 3 month span. They gave me a 25K starting limit and when I called I got them to increase the TYP and DCash both to 12.5K. So don't worry about AA. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. From what I can tell it is very hard to predict who gets nabbed. 

Message 28 of 49
red259
Super Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

The SD vs closing debate is eternal, but in favor of closing I say some people just don't want to manage all the accounts, no matter how little the level of "management" really is. On the pro of SDing you get to keeep the account for util purposes. For me personally a SD card won't really work, it will be in the back of my mind that I have to keep an eye on it, and to me the benefit isn't worth it.

To each their own, I will not exceed 6 cards though.

I'm more of a SD type of person, but with the following exceptions: 1. I will close cards with AFs that do not hold value for me (if I can't downgrade them) and 2. I will close non-AF cards if I have too many cards with a particular lender and know I will want to apply for future crds with them. For example with amex I will downgrade my BCP to BCE until I decide to redeem my reward points. Then once I have used those I will move the credit line over to other amex cards and close the account. I will never use the BCE again since I have my everyday card that covers the same spend areas. I will likely want another amex card at some time in the future and I feel it will be easier to get additional amex accounts if I cut back on the number of amex accounts I have open. Finally I would consider closing out cards that I do not have much use for if I ever ran into a situation where lenders were rejecting me for too much available credit (or I would consider having some of my credit lines reduced on cards that I do not need large lines). My ideal number of cards would be around 7-8 (including business cards).

;
Message 29 of 49
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

Definitely a George wallet...that's just crazy. I have all mine in my wallet but I only have 7. That's going to lead to back problems..

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 30 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.