Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cash Advance Limit question....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cash Advance Limit question....

I searched but I could not find an answer. Here is the question:

Let's say I have a card with $6000 credit limit and a $1200 cash advance limit as separately stated in my account.

Does this mean that I can make card purchases of $6000, AND withdraw cash of $1200, totaling to $7200 value?

OR, does this mean if I use $1200 in cash advance, then that is deducted from 6K limit and leaving me a $4800? Or what?

Not that I am planning to withdraw all my cash advance limit (I know it's expensive), but just curious about its technicality...

Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Cash Advance Limit question....

No, it means you can withdraw up to that amount in cash, but of course it would be deducted from your available credit. Hence, if you withdraw the max $1200, you would have $4800 available for purchases, BTs, etc.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

+1 to the above.  It gets a bit more complicated though: if you have an NPSL credit card you can exceed the credit limit (with caveats).

@Anonymous wrote:

Not that I am planning to withdraw all my cash advance limit (I know it's expensive),

It can also be a red flag.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@takeshi74 wrote:

+1 to the above.  It gets a bit more complicated though: if you have an NPSL credit card you can exceed the credit limit (with caveats).

@Anonymous wrote:

Not that I am planning to withdraw all my cash advance limit (I know it's expensive),

It can also be a red flag.

It really depends on the lender. I generally avoid taking them at all, from any major banks. I have three credit unions that I have credit cards with and I have frequently rolled cash advances off them into my checking account for short term opportunities. Been doing it for a long time and have done so several times. It's never been a problem. It also avoids doing so through an ATM, avoiding the upfront cash advance fee,  only paying accrued interest until I pay it off. It's also a way to do a BT, if I ever needed to, from those CC's that don't allow BT directly to a checking acct. Simple, take the CA off the CU card into checking, then BT the amount to a major bank CC and pay off the CU card. 

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you call up the automated system, usually it will give you a number like " Your available credit is $15,000, of which, $3,000 is available for cash withdrawls."

Message 5 of 7
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I searched but I could not find an answer. Here is the question:

Let's say I have a card with $6000 credit limit and a $1200 cash advance limit as separately stated in my account.

Does this mean that I can make card purchases of $6000, AND withdraw cash of $1200, totaling to $7200 value?

OR, does this mean if I use $1200 in cash advance, then that is deducted from 6K limit and leaving me a $4800? Or what?

Not that I am planning to withdraw all my cash advance limit (I know it's expensive), but just curious about its technicality...

Thanks!

This is exactly what it means ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys.

Though, I contacted my banks and figured for some banks it is combined (like BoA) and for some banks (like AmEx) it is separate.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.