Reply
Established Contributor
PurpleHaze
Posts: 717
Registered: ‎03-05-2008

Cash Advance on a Credit Card

If you take a cash advance on a credit card, does the CC company lump the repayment into the total amount that you owe?  Do you have the option of repaying the advance off first since the rate is higher?  I am not, nor will I ever, take out a cash advance, however I wanted to understand the process.  Thanks in advance.


Starting Score: EQ: 633 (12/31/09) TU: 651 (12/31/09)
Current Score: EQ:633 TU: 651
Goal Score: EQ: 700 TU:700


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Regular Contributor
itsjustmeibe
Posts: 204
Registered: ‎02-19-2008

Re: Cash Advance on a Credit Card


PurpleHaze wrote:

If you take a cash advance on a credit card, does the CC company lump the repayment into the total amount that you owe? YES

 Do you have the option of repaying the advance off first since the rate is higher? NO, your payments will always go towards the balance which has the lowest interest rate first.

A cash advance should never be taken out on a card with a balance unless you intend on paying it in full (along with whatever balance was already on your card) 

 

 I am not, nor will I ever, take out a cash advance, however I wanted to understand the process.  Thanks in advance.


 

Senior Contributor
FretlessMayhem
Posts: 3,279
Registered: ‎08-03-2007

Re: Cash Advance on a Credit Card

CCCs typically keep charges with different interest rates separate from one another, in terms of how your payments are allocated.

 

Lets say you have a balance of $100 on your credit card from normal purchases, under your normal interest rate of 10%. Then you take out a cash advance for $50 on your credit card, under the cash advance rate of 29%. Your new balance is $150, and you mail in a payment of $50 on your account. They allocate that payment to the lower interest rate balance, so you have then $50 accruing interest at 10%, and $50 accruing interest at 29%. 

 

They always apply your payment to the balance with a lower interest rate so they can continue to collect interest on the balance with the high interest rate. Does that make sense? 

 

I believe the credit card bill of rights bill that was recently signed into law forces CCC's to apply payments to the highest interest rate balances first when it takes effect in July 2010. I'm pretty sure that provision was in there, but can't recall exactly. 

 

Does anyone remember? 

Here we go again...
Established Contributor
jaybird201
Posts: 672
Registered: ‎07-05-2008

Re: Cash Advance on a Credit Card


FretlessMayhem wrote:

I believe the credit card bill of rights bill that was recently signed into law forces CCC's to apply payments to the highest interest rate balances first when it takes effect in July 2010. I'm pretty sure that provision was in there, but can't recall exactly. 

 

Does anyone remember? 


"On May 20th, the House passed the final version of the Credit Cardholders’ Bill of Rights, H.R. 627 and the President signed the bill into law on May 22nd...[it will] require 45-days’ advance notice of interest rate, fees, and finance charges hikes, require payments to be applied fairly to the highest interest rate balance first, and strengthen credit card protections for young people..." (source: www.speaker.gov/newsroom/legislation?id=0303) 
Yup, you're recalling correctly.

 

Senior Contributor
score_building
Posts: 3,513
Registered: ‎01-10-2008

Re: Cash Advance on a Credit Card


jaybird201 wrote:

FretlessMayhem wrote:

I believe the credit card bill of rights bill that was recently signed into law forces CCC's to apply payments to the highest interest rate balances first when it takes effect in July 2010. I'm pretty sure that provision was in there, but can't recall exactly. 

 

Does anyone remember? 


"On May 20th, the House passed the final version of the Credit Cardholders’ Bill of Rights, H.R. 627 and the President signed the bill into law on May 22nd...[it will] require 45-days’ advance notice of interest rate, fees, and finance charges hikes, require payments to be applied fairly to the highest interest rate balance first, and strengthen credit card protections for young people..." (source: www.speaker.gov/newsroom/legislation?id=0303) 
Yup, you're recalling correctly.

one notable loop hole is apparently only payment in excess of the minimum payment must be applied to the highest interest rate first.

 

still looks like a rather big improvement. 

FICOS:
06/13 EX 765 (PSECU) EQ 771 (DCU) TU 779 (Barclays)

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+