Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cash Advances

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cash Advances

I dunno. Im not with the conspiracy theory-ists that believe its a set up for CLD's, AA, or even account closure. I put this is the same catagory as "using your Amex at WalMart increases your chances greatly for AA". I havent seen an explaination why a company like Amex would punish their customers for using the card at a company who's gift cards are offered by Amex in their mall! I also havent read why a CC company would intentionally punish their customers for using a service they readily offer (cash advance).

Using this logic, we could say things like "Dont PIF on your CC because I did and I got a CLD!" Sure, these things happen. But I certainly wouldnt say these things increase the possibility of anything just because a handful of people had a bad experience. Hell...I could find Honda and Toyota owners who have had a nightmare of a time with their cars. But that doesnt mean they are bad cars.

Correlation does not imply causation.

Message 11 of 25
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I dunno. Im not with the conspiracy theory-ists that believe its a set up for CLD's, AA, or even account closure. I put this is the same catagory as "using your Amex at WalMart increases your chances greatly for AA". I havent seen an explaination why a company like Amex would punish their customers for using the card at a company who's gift cards are offered by Amex in their mall! I also havent read why a CC company would intentionally punish their customers for using a service they readily offer (cash advance).

Using this logic, we could say things like "Dont PIF on your CC because I did and I got a CLD!" Sure, these things happen. But I certainly wouldnt say these things increase the possibility of anything just because a handful of people had a bad experience. Hell...I could find Honda and Toyota owners who have had a nightmare of a time with their cars. But that doesnt mean they are bad cars.

FTR It is NOT the same thing as using your amex at walmart, for better of worse it is proven fact that most major issuers view cash advances as a red flag-sorry...

Is any of your speculation based on experience?

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 12 of 25
DI
Super Contributor

@score_building wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

FTR It is NOT the same thing as using your amex at walmart, for better of worse it is proven fact that most major issuers view cash advances as a red flag-sorry...

I don't see  that in any of my credit card agreement letters. 

Message 13 of 25
score_building
Senior Contributor

@DI wrote:

@score_building wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't see  that in any of my credit card agreement letters. 

lol

Message 14 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@score_building wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Is any of your speculation based on experience? Or anecdotal message board postings?

I can see if a shiny brand new CC is maxed from cash advances...but that doesnt mean cash advances themselves are a red flag. Again, correlation does not imply causation.

Message 15 of 25
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@score_building wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Is any of your speculation based on experience? Or anecdotal message board postings?

I can see if a shiny brand new CC is maxed from cash advances...but that doesnt mean cash advances themselves are a red flag. Again, correlation does not imply causation.

One can counter facts with speculation if so desire, though preferably not by misleading unsuspecting newbies.

Message 16 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@score_building wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@score_building wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

One can counter facts with speculation if so desire, though preferably not by misleading unsuspecting newbies.

Look. Im not trying to spread misinformation. But can you provide links to your "fact" that cash advances are a rted flag to credit card issuers? I would consider fact as a statement issued by banks or credit card issuers...or something similar. Ive spent 30 minutes googling, and other than anecdotal evidence, such as this thread, no where do I find anything that suggests this. Other than what Ive already acknowledged (new accounts maxed right away suggesting fraud).

Thanks in advance.

Message 17 of 25
DI
Super Contributor

We all have exhausted this topic.  Let's move on.  DI

Message 18 of 25
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@score_building wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I suggest you prove it.   Or we will assume it is nonsense!

Message 19 of 25
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Wolf3 wrote:

@score_building wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I suggest you prove it.   Or we will assume it is nonsense!

can assume whatever you want, but can't speak for others.  Seems to be some confusion, so will try to briefly explain.  Cash advances from cc are generally viewed as high risk behavior, since they typically come with high fees and APR... If someone needs to prove to you the fact that this may serve as a red flag to major issuers (since it indicates that a card holder may be in financial trouble) doubt it would be worth the effort.  Never mind that my work for several years at a top law firm which includes several major banks (which I have worked with extensively on a variety of  transactional matters/ public offerings) as clients' has supported this 'nonsense!'

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.