Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cash Back Cards

tag
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Re: Cash Back Cards

There are cards combined that eat the us bank. However the us bank card is nice if you only want a one man army card. No caps is nice but if freedom is offering 5% on gas for the quarter its simply a better route to take if you don't plan on spending more than 1500 in gas.

There is also the penfed card that offers 5% on gas with no caps

Amex BCP offers 6% on groceries.
NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 11 of 15
iFICO
Valued Member

My personal favorites:

Amex BCP - 6% groceries more than covers the AF

Freedom  - great for rotating categories, esp restaurants

Amex Costco True Earnings - 3% at Costco gas and 2% restaurants

Pen Fed Cash - for 5% gas when not near Costco

(I may consider a Chase Sapphire Pref after all the great things I have learned about the card here)

You really need to look at where you spend your hard earned $$$, and then you will figure out which are right for you.  And be careful when adding them to your wallet - most have sign on bonuses that are awesome but require varying degrees of spend ( and you don't want to over spend just to get a bonus)

Starting Score: TU698 EQ691
Current Score: TU800 EQ816
Goal Score: achieved

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 15
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Can someone explain the freedom/dividend/discover (which discover?) To me? Is it better than freedom/CSP/checking combo?
NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 13 of 15
flowfaster
Established Contributor

@rootpooty wrote:
There are cards combined that eat the us bank. However the us bank card is nice if you only want a one man army card. No caps is nice but if freedom is offering 5% on gas for the quarter its simply a better route to take if you don't plan on spending more than 1500 in gas.

There is also the penfed card that offers 5% on gas with no caps

Amex BCP offers 6% on groceries.

Exactly but if you could have only one?  With the $25 gift card and a checking account, the 5% categories are really closer to 7%.  I agree though that the Freedom and BCP are necessary to maximize your cashback.

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@rootpooty wrote:
Can someone explain the freedom/dividend/discover (which discover?) To me? Is it better than freedom/CSP/checking combo?

Freedom/Dividend/Discover More/IT all have rotating 5% categories.  So when you have all three, you have more ways to get 5% rewards.

Freedom/CSP is the combo used by frequent flyers so they can transfer Freedom 5% UR points to the CSP, and then do what they please from there.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.