Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cash Back = Cash Advance?

tag
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

Cash Back = Cash Advance?

I just realized that I could get cash back with my Discover it at some grocery stores yesterday. Is cash back the same as cash advance? Will I be charged higher interest for cash back?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Cash Back = Cash Advance?

Message 2 of 11
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

Haha, good to know! Smiley Very Happy Thanks!

Message 3 of 11
enharu
Super Contributor

Like Lexie said, it's not a cash advance.

However, I don't think you get any rewards on that. At least I think I didn't get any rewards for that. 

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

No rewards and I believe the amount if cash back is limited .
Message 5 of 11
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

The options are $20, $40 and $60. 

Note: This is the 456th post of mine. Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 11
enharu
Super Contributor

I have only used it at Ralph's a couple times. Each time the maximum it would let me cash out was $40.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 7 of 11
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

Wouldn't a "cash back" transaction just be a regular purchase with an additional $20 or whatever added or top? If this is the case discover will see it as a purchase and reward with cash back wouldn't it?

Message 8 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 9 of 11
enharu
Super Contributor

Like lexie said, the transaction is broken down into 2 components. You will see just 1 charge, but when you click on it and expand on the details, it will state the amount of your purchase and the amount you withdrew as cash.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.