cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cash Back or Travel Rewards? What do you prefer?

tag
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: Cash Back or Travel Rewards? What do you prefer?

@yfan wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@yfan wrote:

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

Actually, some cards are starting to allow partial redemptions, alaska airlines, my CU Visa, etc.  personally, just discovered the joy of the Amex travel section.  Very good prices, and get cash back.  I only travel once or twice a year, and some years none.  So cash back takes precedent.  But if I want to accrue more points, use my CU visa more, and be sure to log the points with my alaska air membership.  But that's just me.

I'd be interested in knowing how exactly this works. For example, let's say a flight costs $450 in cash. Let's also say that it costs 40,000 miles. Assume I have 30,000 miles. Are you saying that I can use the 30,000 miles for that flight and pay the rest in cash, and if so, exactly what's the cash amount? Is it $150, valuing each of my existing miles miles at 1 cent and essentially paying the cash fair, OR is it $100 for the 10,000 points that I'm short, in which case I'm essentially paying the miles fare?

it depends on what kind of miles you are talking about there are cards like venture and arrival+ that can be applied towards travel credit. So basically you use the card to pay for flight and you can use points as travel credit.

There are also other cards that use points that can transfer to their rewards points programs, so you have to look where to find best valuue. Alaska air has some of the most valuable points out there due to the partners they have and how little it costs to redeem top tier flights. Some of the really nice partners alaska has are emirates, korean air and cathay. 

Right, so to clarify, assume the miles I'm talking about in the above situation are Alaska miles and for simplicity's sake, assume that specific flight I describe is an Alaskan Air flight. What then?

Goto alaska air site and look at flight you want to fly how many miles it would cost you. If you have enough miles to cover it than its basically an "free" flight 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 51 of 53
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Here is an Avios example (BOS-LHR as it happens)   So it looks from the first few as if each Avios = 1c, but not quite, going from 16k-20K reduces the price by $50 rather than $40.    In the past I have found that just paying cash can be cheaper, e.g. something like ticket is $1000 cash, but if you book with Avios you are offered things like $1050 + 12000 Avios

• 32000 Avios + $ 801
  • 26000 Avios + $ 871
  • 20000 Avios + $ 931
  • 16000 Avios + $ 981
  • 12000 Avios + $ 1,011
Message 52 of 53
yfan
Valued Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

Goto alaska air site and look at flight you want to fly how many miles it would cost you. If you have enough miles to cover it than its basically an "free" flight 

Yes, but that's not in question, nor the subject of my scenario. My question is about how partial redemption on Alaska Air works - specifically, if it's possible to redeem miles on a single flight even if the miles don't cover the entire cost, and if it is, how the cash amount to be paid after miles redemption is calculated.

Message 53 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.