cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cash + Holders, let's fight for our rewards!

tag
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

Cash + Holders, let's fight for our rewards!

Please go to FACEBOOK and write on the wall for US Bank on their page.  Also, go to the cash + page and send them a message.  Let them know that we want the same categories, but they can add the caps.  Otherwise, I'm sure we will all be using the card less!

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 1 of 48
47 REPLIES 47
jake619
Frequent Contributor

Re: Cash + Holders, let's fight for our rewards!

I don't have a CASH+ card but I wrote them via FB that I'd withhold my application until the changes are published. I truly was eyeballing it for a summertime app.
Message 2 of 48
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

Thanks for joining the fight!

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 3 of 48
bs6054
Valued Contributor

It's strange.  If the card had just been announced, with the new features, it would have got a pretty positive response:

1) You can CHOOSE two 5% reward categories from a large set!   Great

2) And you can chose a 2% category as well.  No-one else has that!

3) $2,000 a quarter cap instead of the usual $1,500.  Wow!

4) And once a year, if you redeem $100, they give you $25.  That's perfect.

But now we are all mad, because they made the card far too good to begin with!

Message 4 of 48
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Can someone elaborate what the issue is?  The post above mine seems like pretty good details so far.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 48
DailyDriver
Valued Member

@bs6054 wrote:

It's strange.  If the card had just been announced, with the new features, it would have got a pretty positive response:

1) You can CHOOSE two 5% reward categories from a large set!   Great

2) And you can chose a 2% category as well.  No-one else has that!

3) $2,000 a quarter cap instead of the usual $1,500.  Wow!

4) And once a year, if you redeem $100, they give you $25.  That's perfect.

But now we are all mad, because they made the card far too good to begin with!

I think part of the problem is that they are getting rid of unique categories.  

For me, my interest in this card was in Home Improvement and Bill Pay.

I have an Amex Hilton (which had phone bill pay, but none other, although it is going away)...and I would need either Home Depot or Lowes to get Home Improvement cash back.  But with those cards I would be limited to only using it at those stores.  I do not do enough consistent shopping at those stores to warrant the Inquiry and it taking away from my available credit pool.  But for big seasonal projects, it would be worth choosing for the quarter.

Citi Forward $6K l Citi Double Cash $7K l Chase Sapphire Preferred $10.3K l Discover IT $12K l Chase Freedom $5K l Chase United 10k l Chase Slate 7.2k l Amex Hilton HHonors $12.1K l NFCU GoRewards Visa 16.6K l Barclay US Airways World Mastercard $8K
Message 6 of 48
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@clocktick wrote:

Can someone elaborate what the issue is?  The post above mine seems like pretty good details so far.

OK, simply put:

1) They have removed some of the most popular (= biggest cash back) categories such as bill pay (utilities, insurance) and home improvement.  They are adding new ones but not too exciting.

2) The 5% categories were uncapped.  Now they are $2000 per quarter which is generous compared to some, but obviously not compared to uncapped.  Most people think they could have capped and then left the categories alone.  (From the bank's viewpoint I guess the problem is that those categories are too easy to meet the 2,000, other categories might be less likely to reach the cap, saving money for the bank)

3) In the past, everytime you redeem $100, you got an extra $25, now this is just once a year.

Message 7 of 48
pkosheta
Contributor

a feW points.  As previously covered on flyertalk by several posters...cash back cards are inherently problematic for card issuers.  They cannot devalue cash itself, they cannot buy cash in bulk, like miles, giftcards, merchandise that can be aquired for distribution at less than .o1 cost but given to use at .o1 Per point value  They can be abused if left unchecked, where there is cash, there is abuse potential.  Caps are a must To help control abuse use whether current or potential.  In terms of bill pay if NO ONE offers that category,there is a reason, and that reason is it hurts their bottom line.  They make money on lists of spending on those 1% catergories and the 5% is there to entice u to get the card.  If you are a cronic 5% user, they are glad your mad and hope you cancel as you are costing them money.  They see people using the card point the .o1 and getting a .oo25 bonus as their target audience.  A .0125 cash back card will appeal to many and then getting you to sign up for the checking accounts to get more points is their goal.  Then once your in they hope to get you to use their other products, loans, CDs, investments, iras w/e.  the card was a marketing tool to get people who can get a 5k credit limit in the door. Protests and complaints ain't going to change the mind of us bank execs or managers or anyone. Period.  They got the limelight for a year or so when it was new to the game of 5% cards.  Its hard to say if they were inherently stupid for giving such rewards and They went too far out and have to reign it in Or if eventual cuts were always the plan... either way they are banking on peeps still keeping the card and using it.  Are you seriously considering canceling a 5% card with as much flexibility as it still has b/c ur mad it was too awesome and now it's only awesome?

i still like the card, will continue using the card, I won't be putting nearly as much on it as i would otherwisebut after exposing me and others to US bank via the card I'm sure they have had some impact on their other products.

Age 29
AU- United+ Visa 33k, *97. GM MasterCard 15k, *95.
Individual- PenFed Plat Rew 7k, *08. Amex Blue 6.7k, *12. Hilton Amex 5.5k, *12. Chase Sapphire 15k, *12. U.S. Bank Cash+ 12.3k, *12. Barclays Priceline.com Rewards Visa 11k, *13. Citi DoubleCash (PC'd in *14) 7k, *13. Club Carlson Premier 9k, *13.
Message 8 of 48
clocktick
Valued Contributor

I just bill pay on the site.  When are they removing?  That's one of the ones I would've chosen too.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 9 of 48
flowfaster
Established Contributor

Well you could make this a pure restaurant card.  I wonder if Amazon will count as a bookstore?

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 10 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.