Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cash Plus reward caps

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Cash Plus reward caps

Are people seeing an exact $2000 per quarter limit on the Cash Plus?   I was trying to keep it around $2K per quarter, then switching cards, but recently I went very slightly over, so spending ~ $2200 in Q2 (excluding April spend that was on March statement)  to date.  Just got my statement and I got the full 5% on this.   Just wondering if others have seen this.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Re: Cash Plus reward caps

When did you get your cash+ ?

Weren't some of those grandfathered in for a while last year?

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 2 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

When did you get your cash+ ?

Weren't some of those grandfathered in for a while last year?

Yes, I had unlimited cash back for 2013, but was told the cap is effective Jan 1, 2014.

Message 3 of 9
enharu
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Are people seeing an exact $2000 per quarter limit on the Cash Plus?   I was trying to keep it around $2K per quarter, then switching cards, but recently I went very slightly over, so spending ~ $2200 in Q2 (excluding April spend that was on March statement)  to date.  Just got my statement and I got the full 5% on this.   Just wondering if others have seen this.

I received a letter in March stating the $2000 per quarter cap will go into effect in July 2014.

Was a little upset about the misinformation then because I stopped using the card since late Jan after $2000 spend is met, but I've starting using it since then.

I can confirm i got the full 5% on all my purchases that are in the bonus categories. Last cycle's cashback alone was in excess of 400, so I doubt it's an annual cap either.

On the sidenote, do u guys get marketing calls from US Bank? I get like 1 call every 3-6 weeks from someone asking about my "experience" with the card, and with US Bank overall. Then they would start marketing other US Bank products, such as a checking account etc. It's a little irritating to have someone calling and asking about product feedback on a frequent basis.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

I received a letter in March stating the $2000 per quarter cap will go into effect in July 2014.

Was a little upset about the misinformation then because I stopped using the card since late Jan after $2000 spend is met, but I've starting using it since then.

I can confirm i got the full 5% on all my purchases that are in the bonus categories. Last cycle's cashback alone was in excess of 400, so I doubt it's an annual cap either.

On the sidenote, do u guys get marketing calls from US Bank? I get like 1 call every 3-6 weeks from someone asking about my "experience" with the card, and with US Bank overall. Then they would start marketing other US Bank products, such as a checking account etc. It's a little irritating to have someone calling and asking about product feedback on a frequent basis.

Did they give you a credit?  I remember in 2013, when they told me the account would be capped Jan 2014, they gave me a small credit (maybe $10) because of miscommunication.   I didn't get anything about July, so wonder if it is account by account.

No calls, just marketing offers to my wife.  Not in their area though, which might make a difference.

Message 5 of 9
enharu
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@enharu wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Did they give you a credit?  I remember in 2013, when they told me the account would be capped Jan 2014, they gave me a small credit (maybe $10) because of miscommunication.   I didn't get anything about July, so wonder if it is account by account.

No calls, just marketing offers to my wife.  Not in their area though, which might make a difference.

Didn't ask them for any credit nor did they offer. I'm pretty happy about the unlimited 5% for extra few months though. 

Citi gave me a random $10 credit for being a "good customer" or whatever that's supposed to mean. 

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 6 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

I didn't ask US BAnk for credit either, they gave it unasked because they had sent bad information (which I don't recall seeing)  But yes, extension of the no-cap is better than a small credit.

So I assume the $10 credit from Citi made a huge difference to your credit card use!

Message 7 of 9
Brax
Frequent Contributor

I PC my card to the Cash Plus in late July last year. I think the caps had already been announced shortly before that.

Anyways, 2 months ago I went slightly over the $2000 cap in bonus spend to make sure the cap was in place for me. I can confirm I only received the full 5% for exactly $2000 bonus category spend.

@enharu wrote:

It was ridiculous the amount of calls I got from them last year. I still got them after I opted out of credit card pre-screened offers. I still got them when I elected to opt out of ALL their marketing offers (that privacy notice they send with all their mailings). The majority of the calls never came through, but when I checked my Spam folder for my Google Voice number there were pages after pages of "spam" calls from US Bank automatically blocked by Google. I finally spoke with some representative and explained how frustrated I was to have these marketing and "survey/customer feedback" calls littering my Spam folder. It seemed to finally do the trick explaining I could never actually receive these calls due to the block by Google, so they made sure I would never again get ANY marketing or survey/feedback calls.

Anyways, morale of the story is only give companies your Google Voice number and not your real number! And if you're persistent, maybe after 4-5 times US Bank will get the hint.

Message 8 of 9
enharu
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

I didn't ask US BAnk for credit either, they gave it unasked because they had sent bad information (which I don't recall seeing)  But yes, extension of the no-cap is better than a small credit.

So I assume the $10 credit from Citi made a huge difference to your credit card use!

i'm interested in finding out if i can apply for another cash+ though.

the 2k cap is just really restrictive (though it's still a good card).

yup it definitely made a huge difference to my credit card use. rather than to cancel the card last month, I am planning to cancel it at the end of this month instead after the bonus 2% points on all purchases up to $2500 is posted. Honestly got no use for the card after the 5% promo ended, unless they come up with some new promos. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.