Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cash Rewards for Newcomers upgrade?

tag
HenryJumbo
Regular Contributor

Cash Rewards for Newcomers upgrade?

Unfortunately this is my first card as I didn’t have any credit. Since I out grown the card I want to (a) close it, (b) upgrade it or (c) get a high CL. I know that c is out of the question because it’s a rebuilder card and is pretty much stuck as far as limits are concern. However I would like to know if anyone has ever been successful upgrading the CRNC to a regular CR card from Capital One. Theoretically it should be possible, I mean the CRNC card is just a lower tier version of the standard average credit CR card (expect for lower apr and annual fee). Likewise the difference from CR average credit and CR excellent credit is lower apr and no annual fee.

The other night I chatted with live support via the “chat now” button and requested an “upgrade”, the agent immediately thought I was requesting a CLI (which I tried last month, what a joke reason for decline). When I finally explain to them that I wanted to upgrade my card they said it can’t be done. I’m still dumbfounded as to why when the cards are the same rewards structure brand “Cash Rewards” and I have a better credit profile than before. I like cards that can evolve with me and unfortunately the cap on CL means I can only hope for an upgrade. But if that door is closed there’s really no reason to have this card, apart from it being my oldest card.

Is it better to close it now or just sock draw it? I never held a balance and kept utilization around 10%, but never over. Will closing it hurt my FICO score under these circumstances?

Starting Score: EX: 736 FAKO | TU: 757 FICO | EQ 730 FICO
Current Score: EX: 736 FAKO | TU: 750 FICO | EQ 730 FICO
Goal Score:     EX: 750 FICO | TU: 750 FICO | EQ: 750 FICO
In my wallet:  $16,000  $8,000
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: Cash Rewards for Newcomers upgrade?

Get a new card and then close it.   Or just stop using it and it will report a bit longer before Cap One closes it due to your not using it.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 2 of 8
HenryJumbo
Regular Contributor

*update*

So I got in chat again. I saw the same name agent I spoke to the other night and I quickly closed the browser. I tried again and this time I got a new agent. I worded my request a little different, but still nothing. They did offered to lower my horrible 24.90% apr to 20.9% (whoopee) for a limited time. This made no sense to me because for the life of the card I have never carried a balance or went over 10% utilization this or any card I have. The days of this card are numbered.

Message 3 of 8
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@HenryJumbo wrote:

*update*

So I got in chat again. I saw the same name agent I spoke to the other night and I quickly closed the browser. I tried again and this time I got a new agent. I worded my request a little different, but still nothing. They did offered to lower my horrible 24.90% apr to 20.9% (whoopee) for a limited time. This made no sense to me because for the life of the card I have never carried a balance or went over 10% utilization this or any card I have. The days of this card are numbered.

Don't worry about getting someone with the same name as someone else on the online chat, the names are definitely just randomly generated, and I really don't think it's their real names. Also, it is possible to PC with capital one, not sure about the newcomers card though. 

Message 4 of 8
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

If the csr told you that card couldn't be upgraded then you might as well just apply for a new card. 

Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 5 of 8
noobody
Established Contributor

This is actually a decent travel card, just a has a bad name.

2% cash back on all travel related expense, No AF, high APR but it does not matter if you PIF. 

I wish i could i can PC my platinum MC(48AF) to this one

EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 6 of 8
HenryJumbo
Regular Contributor

So I finally weeded out the cancerous Cash Rewards for Newcomers card. I might as well taken the hit sooner rather than later. But yes, it was eventually going to get closed one way or the other.

My question is I asked the rep if the account is going to be reported as “closed by customer” and he said yes, I asked for an address so I can get written proof, he said they’ll send me a letter. What else do I do? I want to cover my back.

I checked my FICO on this site today and saw that my Experian score is 730, which are a few points less than the FAKO score I received on Amex CreditSecure / Experian Plus score (which is 736).

Anyway I went ahead and applied for Cap1 platinum prestige card (preapproval first) and got the 7 – 10 days message (yikes!). Oh well if that doesn’t go through I’ll just stick with my Amex and Freedom until I got inch my way into a credit union.

Message 7 of 8
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@HenryJumbo wrote:

My question is I asked the rep if the account is going to be reported as “closed by customer” and he said yes, I asked for an address so I can get written proof, he said they’ll send me a letter. What else do I do? I want to cover my back.

It doesn't matter if it is closed by grantor or consumer.  People have cards closed all the time just by not using them.  You don't take a FICO hit for that.... and nobody penalizes you for either one on manual review, they look at the payment history.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.