tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cash+ Siggy.... From Great to Garbage

@longtimelurker wrote:

@JonStur wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Not a joke Smiley Sad This was discussed a few days ago

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/US-Bank-Cash-Visa-Signature-New-Terms/m-p/3730409/highlight/true#M1027767

Ok thanks!!! As usual I'm a day late and a dollar short!

And as I have said on other threads, of all the things done to the Cash +, this is probably the one to get least worked up about, although people make it sound like a huge deal.

If you kept the card for 25 years, your loss from this latest nerf is $500.    Yes, death by a thousand cuts etc, but THIS is not the change that makes the card go from great to garbage (and of course for many it still isn't garbage.   Much more useful for me than Freedom for example)

My problem with the US Bank card as it stands now is that it is a 5% card on really meh categories. It used to be a 6.25% back on reall great categories. 

The Freedom is not really 5%. More like 10% due to the high value of UR points when transferred. 

If US Bank allowed transfer of cash+ points to flexperks cards, then it would be my main card again. Until then, i buy my lunch sandwhich and that's it. 

Message 11 of 16
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@JonStur wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/US-Bank-Cash-Visa-Signature-New-Terms/m-p/3730409/highlight/true#M1027767

And as I have said on other threads, of all the things done to the Cash +, this is probably the one to get least worked up about, although people make it sound like a huge deal.

If you kept the card for 25 years, your loss from this latest nerf is $500.    Yes, death by a thousand cuts etc, but THIS is not the change that makes the card go from great to garbage (and of course for many it still isn't garbage.   Much more useful for me than Freedom for example)

My problem with the US Bank card as it stands now is that it is a 5% card on really meh categories. It used to be a 6.25% back on reall great categories. 

The Freedom is not really 5%. More like 10% due to the high value of UR points when transferred. 

If US Bank allowed transfer of cash+ points to flexperks cards, then it would be my main card again. Until then, i buy my lunch sandwhich and that's it. 

Take awhile to redeem.  Or do they let you redeem any time?

Signature needs updating
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@JonStur wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

On the Freedom? I transfer the points to Ink Plus and then to Hyatt or BA. Never redeem as cashback. 

That is the problem: with the cash+ you HAVE to redeem as cashback

Message 13 of 16
JonStur
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@JonStur wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

On the Freedom? I transfer the points to Ink Plus and then to Hyatt or BA. Never redeem as cashback. 

That is the problem: with the cash+ you HAVE to redeem as cashback

Here's my analogy; it's like falling in love with a hard-working faithful person who enjoys dinner, dancing, and going to the movies. One day they decide they no longer want to dine, dance, and go to the movies. Doesn't mean they're horrible and you want to get rid of them, but they're not the same person you fell in love with. And you REALLY miss the old them...

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 14 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@JonStur wrote:

Here's my analogy; it's like falling in love with a hard-working faithful person who enjoys dinner, dancing, and going to the movies. One day they decide they no longer want to dine, dance, and go to the movies. Doesn't mean they're horrible and you want to get rid of them, but they're not the same person you fell in love with. And you REALLY miss the old them...

Yes, this I agree with.  And in fact as sosmeone who had the card in the uncapped days, there is no comparison between the old and the new.  But, as I said on the other threads, you can't get that card any more, so maybe the viewpoint shouldn't be "God, it's been nerfed so much that it is a horrible useless card and anyone who gets it probably has the Visa black as well", but "In its current form, is this a good card?"   And yes, certainly you can bear in mind the history of nerfing, but that's because the  card was way too good to begin with.

And then you have a card which allows you to choose from fixed categories, and rewards up to $2000 per quarter, plus some unlimited 2% cateogories.   On a cashback basis, better than Freedom or Discover, IF you can use the categories.  BUt at least up front you can determine that, rather than waiting for whatever Chase or Discover decide to offer.

Message 15 of 16
JonStur
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@JonStur wrote:

Yes, this I agree with.  And in fact as sosmeone who had the card in the uncapped days, there is no comparison between the old and the new.  But, as I said on the other threads, you can't get that card any more, so maybe the viewpoint shouldn't be "God, it's been nerfed so much that it is a horrible useless card and anyone who gets it probably has the Visa black as well", but "In its current form, is this a good card?"   And yes, certainly you can bear in mind the history of nerfing, but that's because the  card was way too good to begin with.

And then you have a card which allows you to choose from fixed categories, and rewards up to $2000 per quarter, plus some unlimited 2% cateogories.   On a cashback basis, better than Freedom or Discover, IF you can use the categories.  BUt at least up front you can determine that, rather than waiting for whatever Chase or Discover decide to offer.

Exactly!! I knew the end was near when the bill pay category was "nerfed". Eared many gift cards with that. But I still have a decent limit and earn cash for my purchases so this card isn't going anywhere. 

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.