Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cash+ Siggy.... From Great to Garbage

tag
JonStur
Established Contributor

Cash+ Siggy.... From Great to Garbage

When the were first introduced, we were able to get $25 bonus every time you redeemed cash for $100 in a single redemption. Okay, I can concede that was probably a bit pricey for them, so they limited it to one per calendar year. Today I received a letter stating as of April 1st, it will be limited to once during the lifetime of each account. Unless this is an April Fools joke,I'm highly disappointed. Bad enough they started monkeying around with the cash back categories, now this?? SMH.......

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cash+ Siggy.... From Great to Garbage

Message 2 of 16
JonStur
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Not a joke Smiley Sad This was discussed a few days ago

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/US-Bank-Cash-Visa-Signature-New-Terms/m-p/3730409/highlight/true#M1027767

Ok thanks!!! As usual I'm a day late and a dollar short!

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JonStur wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/US-Bank-Cash-Visa-Signature-New-Terms/m-p/3730409/highlight/true#M1027767

$25 dollars short.

Smiley Tongue

Message 4 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@JonStur wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

And as I have said on other threads, of all the things done to the Cash +, this is probably the one to get least worked up about, although people make it sound like a huge deal.

If you kept the card for 25 years, your loss from this latest nerf is $500.    Yes, death by a thousand cuts etc, but THIS is not the change that makes the card go from great to garbage (and of course for many it still isn't garbage.   Much more useful for me than Freedom for example)

Message 5 of 16
mikelo22
Established Contributor

Ah, yes, the Nerf+. Smiley Tongue  

All serious, it is very disappointing what they've done over the years to this card. I can only imagine how you guys feel seeing these nerfs year after year. I honestly thought the Restaurant nerf to 2% was going to be enough for a while. But this proves me wrong. =/

That said, still a great card for many. Some cats are still very useful and I still like the idea of having dependable 5% cats on stuff that you spend the most money on.

Message 6 of 16
kdm31091
Super Contributor

While I do think this card has been on a downward spiral and honestly it seems like it may get discontinued entirely eventually, I agree that this particular nerf isn't that big of a deal. It was a nice bonus, but it's also something that doesn't seem sustainable, just because that's a ton of money being paid out. I don't see how they ever thought they could afford to offer it, honestly.

Now, the nerfing of the categories is the bigger issue. What's left are largely categories that most people don't spend very much on at a time, although there are still some decent ones, but nothing like what there was.

I think this card is either going to be discontinued or revamped entirely soon. The rate of nerfing has been very quick, leading me to believe they are planning on changing the card up soon. I could be wrong, but it seems like they're strugggling to make the card profitable for them, and if it's not happening they will find a way to make it happen -- discontinue the card, revamp it, or nerf it to something ridiculously bad.

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

If they simply added an AF instead of nerfing it into Cash-, It would make it a bit more sustainable.

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

The 25 dollar redemption bonus was nice for sure, but the biggest nerf for the cash plus is the category changes. With the 25 dollar unlimited use bonus it was effectively a 6.25% card on its 5% categories. Even with the 25 dollar redemption bonus nerf, it is still a 5% card. 5% category cards can be awesome. The major problem with the Cash+ now is that its categories are not that great. It can be situationally useful for some people (department stores/electronic stores/cell phone categories can be useful for some). However, the categories that made the card great were restaurants and airfare IMO and both were removed. 

The card is still situationally useful for some like any other 5% card. The problem with it now is whether people want to waste time and inquiries on a card that might get nerfed more. Moreover, the application at the bank only is an inconvenience. While I can't join the Cash+ is garbage bandwagon, I do agree that it has gone from one of the best cash back cards to a very mediocre card. 

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@JonStur wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

And as I have said on other threads, of all the things done to the Cash +, this is probably the one to get least worked up about, although people make it sound like a huge deal.

If you kept the card for 25 years, your loss from this latest nerf is $500.    Yes, death by a thousand cuts etc, but THIS is not the change that makes the card go from great to garbage (and of course for many it still isn't garbage.   Much more useful for me than Freedom for example)

Ok ... I concede my interests do not revolve around my planning my life on credit card category spending Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.