cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cash+ approval but receive Cash Rewards?

tag
Bman70
Established Contributor

Cash+ approval but receive Cash Rewards?

Anyone recently get an approval for US Bank Cash+ but receive the 1% Cash Rewards card instead? I didn't know this could happen until I read some weird threads on here. The reason I ask is I was approved today for the Cash+ with 5k credit line. Apparently US Bank was giving out the 1% cards with CLs higher than 5k, so... made me wonder. 

Note: This did NOT happen with my approval, which was today for Cash+ Visa Sig, $5k CL. Wade and Wanderer below both seem to have missed the point - I was wondering about the likelihood of this happening, based on others' experience with the card/s. thanks

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

Re: Cash+ approval but receive Cash Rewards?

@Bman70 wrote:

Anyone recently get an approval for US Bank Cash+ but receive the 1% Cash Rewards card instead? I didn't know this could happen until I read some weird threads on here. The reason I ask is I was approved today for the Cash+ with 5k credit line. Apparently US Bank was giving out the 1% cards with CLs higher than 5k, so... made me wonder. 

Sorry to hear the bad news. This is a quote from there website:   If you do not qualify for the U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa Signature Card, you will automatically be considered for the U.S. Bank Cash Rewards Visa Card that earns 1% cash back on all net purchases, but does not offer the 5% and 2% Cash+ Categories.

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 2 of 28
Bman70
Established Contributor

Lol no bad news so far... The banker told me it was the Cash+ Visa Sig... Just wondering if anyone was told the same thing but received the other card. 

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 3 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Recon with the US Bank Banker.
Message 4 of 28
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Same thing happened to me, only with an even higher credit limit. 6 months later I called and they converted it to Cash+.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 5 of 28
chrisw1968uk
Frequent Contributor

I had a similar thing when i was establishing credit - I applied for the select perks (black) card, which I believe has a minimum of $5000 CL, at the end of the app it told me that I didn't qualify for that one, but offered me the white Select Perks card - with the same $5000 CL!! WTH lol - maybe i was credit-worthy enough to get the 5k, but not enough to get the extra perks - i may try and pc now that it's been about 9 months

Message 6 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bman60 - Wade quoted the exact language from the application. Your permission was not required to issue a US Bank Cash Rewards Card. You gave that permission by applying (whether you were aware or understood that is another matter). My response was that this has happened to others (which was your focus on this site). My response was it seems odd and you may want to recon and see if a US Bank Cash+ could be forth coming. Others have posted on similar situations on the myfico website and I was aware of it. Your comment that Wade and the Wanderer missed the point that you wanted to know more from others with the same or similar situation was the question? The Wanderer did miss the focus of your question and was bad.

Message 7 of 28
knhorn
Contributor

This is how I came upon my Cash+

Opened checking account with US Bank > Auto-approved for their 1% card with 2K limit (soft pull from opening checking account.) The banker helping me said she had "never seen this before." > Called 2 months later to increase limit to $5500 (approved,) and requested conversion to Cash+ at the same time (approved.) I just recently requested a 10K limit, which they immediately approved (soft pull.) I just received the $25 bonus debit card for redeeming $100 in CB. I love the card.

Message 8 of 28
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Bman70 wrote:

Wade and Wanderer below both seem to have missed the point - I was wondering about the likelihood of this happening, based on others' experience with the card/s. thanks

I don't understand your point either.  The likelihood all depends on one's credit.  It's not just random or a matter of set odds for everyone.  As the terms indicate, if one does not qualify then one will be considered for the other card.

Message 9 of 28
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@Bman70 wrote:

Note: This did NOT happen with my approval, which was today for Cash+ Visa Sig, $5k CL. Wade and Wanderer below both seem to have missed the point - I was wondering about the likelihood of this happening, based on others' experience with the card/s. thanks

My bad, Congrats on your Cash + approval Smiley Happy I do not have the answer to the likeyhood of that happening, but i am sure it does happen. Also it depends on a person's credit file

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.