cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cash back Card what are your thoughts.

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Cash back Card what are your thoughts.

@sparklerd34 wrote:

@steel_string wrote:

With $225/mo for gas, $100/mo at WM, and $250/mo at Publix on BCP, it looks like you'd be getting about $22.75/mo in cashback, minus $6.25/mo to cover the annual fee for a net of $16.50/mo. With Sallie Mae, you'd be looking at something more like $24.75 per month. I think BJ's would be 1% on either card, giving you another $1.33/mo with either SM or BCP.

With Discover It or Freedom, you have rotating categories. If you grab the double cashback promo for Discover It, you're looking at a baseline of 2% ($14.16/mo, although half of that will come on the 13th statement) for the first year. If they do a gas quarter, you'd be looking at an additional $18/mo for that quarter (which works out to $4.50/mo average over the year).

With Discover It Miles, you'd be looking at 3% ($21.24/mo, with half on the 13th statement) for the first year.

With the Freedom, your baseline 1% is $7.08 for the spend you posted here. A quarter of gas would bump the monthly average by $9/mo during the quarter, averaged over a year, that's $2.25/mo.

Any corrections from other posters would be welcome, particularly if I missed any Discover/Freedom categories that would apply to some of this spend.

Wow thanks  for breaking it down for me  right now I guess the best benefit would BJ's card to get the 10 cents off and next year inquire about the Amex BCP.  I like the sallie Mae  but I also like the get at least one Amex the offer some other nice features. 

Amex also has arguably more "bonus offers", not tied to actual category spend on the card, but offers for certain merchants. They have a lot on my account page.

While SM does do occasional category spend bonuses, there's no rhyme or reason to who gets them and when. Some people never get them. Amex offers are available on every account to my knowledge although the actual offers vary I'm sure.

Message 41 of 50
sparklerd34
Established Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@sparklerd34 wrote:

@steel_string wrote:

With $225/mo for gas, $100/mo at WM, and $250/mo at Publix on BCP, it looks like you'd be getting about $22.75/mo in cashback, minus $6.25/mo to cover the annual fee for a net of $16.50/mo. With Sallie Mae, you'd be looking at something more like $24.75 per month. I think BJ's would be 1% on either card, giving you another $1.33/mo with either SM or BCP.

With Discover It or Freedom, you have rotating categories. If you grab the double cashback promo for Discover It, you're looking at a baseline of 2% ($14.16/mo, although half of that will come on the 13th statement) for the first year. If they do a gas quarter, you'd be looking at an additional $18/mo for that quarter (which works out to $4.50/mo average over the year).

With Discover It Miles, you'd be looking at 3% ($21.24/mo, with half on the 13th statement) for the first year.

With the Freedom, your baseline 1% is $7.08 for the spend you posted here. A quarter of gas would bump the monthly average by $9/mo during the quarter, averaged over a year, that's $2.25/mo.

Any corrections from other posters would be welcome, particularly if I missed any Discover/Freedom categories that would apply to some of this spend.

Wow thanks  for breaking it down for me  right now I guess the best benefit would BJ's card to get the 10 cents off and next year inquire about the Amex BCP.  I like the sallie Mae  but I also like the get at least one Amex the offer some other nice features. 

Amex also has arguably more "bonus offers", not tied to actual category spend on the card, but offers for certain merchants. They have a lot on my account page.

While SM does do occasional category spend bonuses, there's no rhyme or reason to who gets them and when. Some people never get them. Amex offers are available on every account to my knowledge although the actual offers vary I'm sure.

that is what truly got me was the amex bonus offers too because i shop around. 

Message 42 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

@sparklerd34 wrote:

@steel_string wrote:

There are a lot on my page too, for both my cards, and not a single one is anything I want. I always want groceries and gas, though. The arguments against the Salle Mae are really rather silly.

Message 43 of 50
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Its preference, at the end of the day. The arguments for sallie can get a bit much sometimes. Good card yes, godsend no. Anyway, I think we've beaten that debate into the ground. If one likes it great, if one chooses another option thats ok too.
Message 44 of 50
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Groceries is honestly an overhyped category anyway. If you buy most of your groceries at BJs, costco, walmart, and target, you're saving much more than 5 percent vs the grocery store, so really, the grocery category isnt quite as important as it seems since those stores often are not counted as grocery (and yes i know certain ones are but no guarantee)
Message 45 of 50
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:
Groceries is honestly an overhyped category anyway. If you buy most of your groceries at BJs, costco, walmart, and target, you're saving much more than 5 percent vs the grocery store, so really, the grocery category isnt quite as important as it seems since those stores often are not counted as grocery (and yes i know certain ones are but no guarantee)

I guess it just depends. The only supermarket chain that's really around here is Publix (well, I think there are some Winn-Dixies too but none near where I live) and if you are willing to plan your meals around the BOGOs and sales, you can actually save more that way (or stock up). Not sure about other supermarkets in different areas of the country though. Plus both Wal-Mart Supercenters and the Super Target near me code as grocery as well. Smiley Wink With Target, I think most Super Targets and even the P-Freshes will code as grocery; not sure about Wal-Mart although most people seem to have luck with the Supercenters. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 46 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

There is no BJ's, Costco, (not a member anyway), or Walmart near me. And, after my club member discounts, Target is more expensive than the Safeway where I shop.

Message 47 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a Sallie Mae just for the Amazon/Gas discount. I have about $950 saved up in rewards over the last two years.

Message 48 of 50
sparklerd34
Established Contributor

@Callandra wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

I guess it just depends. The only supermarket chain that's really around here is Publix (well, I think there are some Winn-Dixies too but none near where I live) and if you are willing to plan your meals around the BOGOs and sales, you can actually save more that way (or stock up). Not sure about other supermarkets in different areas of the country though. Plus both Wal-Mart Supercenters and the Super Target near me code as grocery as well. Smiley Wink With Target, I think most Super Targets and even the P-Freshes will code as grocery; not sure about Wal-Mart although most people seem to have luck with the Supercenters. 

We have a lot of public, super walmarts, super targets which to me target is expensive!! I have a BJ's 3 blocks from me and the SAMs is about 7 miles away. I honestly rarely walk in a Winn dixie

Message 49 of 50
sparklerd34
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I have a Sallie Mae just for the Amazon/Gas discount. I have about $950 saved up in rewards over the last two years.

Oh wow awesome!

Message 50 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.