cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cash back Card what are your thoughts.

Established Contributor

Cash back Card what are your thoughts.

I wanted to get some feedback of what my next reward card should be.  I was interested in either a chase freedom or a Discover.   I also did some research on the amex blue preferred.  I dont like the option of salle mae. I just wanted 1 last good reward card and this will probably be a while before  get.  I wanted to know which is hard to get.  I am thinking the discover card is the hardest.

Message 1 of 50
49 REPLIES
Valued Contributor

Re: Cash back Card what are your thoughts.

No card is really "hard to get" its just if you qualify or not. Personally I think both are easy to get. How many cards have you opened up recently?


I realized i am still young and still have many years to achieve whatever i want.
Message 2 of 50
Valued Contributor

Re: Cash back Card what are your thoughts.


sparklerd34 wrote:

I wanted to get some feedback of what my next reward card should be.  I was interested in either a chase freedom or a Discover.   I also did some research on the amex blue preferred.  I dont like the option of salle mae. I just wanted 1 last good reward card and this will probably be a while before  get.  I wanted to know which is hard to get.  I am thinking the discover card is the hardest.


Are your FICOs current based on signature?

Shortcuts to credit lead to shortcut results.
Message 3 of 50
Established Contributor

Re: Cash back Card what are your thoughts.

Oh yea no plans to app now i am rebuilding this is later like a year or so away. i need at least 670 or higher.

Message 4 of 50
Super Contributor

Re: Cash back Card what are your thoughts.

Between Freedom and Discover, go for Discover.

 

They are much better with CLIs and APR reductions etc vs Chase. The reward categories during the year are less specific than Freedom's (Freedom often does just Lowe's or just Amazon; Discover is less restrictive). You get a free FICO with Discover. They also have a great Discover Deals mall with high percentages off on many websites.

 

Pretty much comparing the two on their own I feel Discover blows Freedom out of the water. Freedom you are pretty unlikely to see much CLI growth with and you will never see an APR reduction.

Message 5 of 50
Established Contributor

Re: Cash back Card what are your thoughts.


kdm31091 wrote:

Between Freedom and Discover, go for Discover.

 

They are much better with CLIs and APR reductions etc vs Chase. The reward categories during the year are less specific than Freedom's (Freedom often does just Lowe's or just Amazon; Discover is less restrictive). You get a free FICO with Discover. They also have a great Discover Deals mall with high percentages off on many websites.

 

Pretty much comparing the two on their own I feel Discover blows Freedom out of the water. Freedom you are pretty unlikely to see much CLI growth with and you will never see an APR reduction.


thats good to know thank because generally my overall spending is food, gas and some retail not a lot. once and a while i do a auto repair purchase. I originally wanted a chase freedom but now that i am looking at my spending habits and what i use my card for it might not be a good fit for me and my lifestyle. The only i might consider is the amex blue preferred.

Message 6 of 50
Super Contributor

Re: Cash back Card what are your thoughts.


sparklerd34 wrote:

kdm31091 wrote:

Between Freedom and Discover, go for Discover.

 

They are much better with CLIs and APR reductions etc vs Chase. The reward categories during the year are less specific than Freedom's (Freedom often does just Lowe's or just Amazon; Discover is less restrictive). You get a free FICO with Discover. They also have a great Discover Deals mall with high percentages off on many websites.

 

Pretty much comparing the two on their own I feel Discover blows Freedom out of the water. Freedom you are pretty unlikely to see much CLI growth with and you will never see an APR reduction.


thats good to know thank because generally my overall spending is food, gas and some retail not a lot. once and a while i do a auto repair purchase. I originally wanted a chase freedom but now that i am looking at my spending habits and what i use my card for it might not be a good fit for me and my lifestyle. The only i might consider is the amex blue preferred.


The Blue Cash Preferred is a great option if you spend enough to justify the fee. 6% on groceries is pretty difficult to beat.

 

 

Message 7 of 50
Valued Contributor

Re: Cash back Card what are your thoughts.

How much do you spend on groceries a month? 

 

Any reason why you don't want SM (the caps are too low?)? 

 

I agree with KDM that in terms of pure cashback, Discover beats Freedom. Freedom is best if you want a Visa or if you want UR points because you plan on getting a CSP later. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 8 of 50
Established Contributor

Re: Cash back Card what are your thoughts.


kdm31091 wrote:

sparklerd34 wrote:

kdm31091 wrote:

Between Freedom and Discover, go for Discover.

 

They are much better with CLIs and APR reductions etc vs Chase. The reward categories during the year are less specific than Freedom's (Freedom often does just Lowe's or just Amazon; Discover is less restrictive). You get a free FICO with Discover. They also have a great Discover Deals mall with high percentages off on many websites.

 

Pretty much comparing the two on their own I feel Discover blows Freedom out of the water. Freedom you are pretty unlikely to see much CLI growth with and you will never see an APR reduction.


thats good to know thank because generally my overall spending is food, gas and some retail not a lot. once and a while i do a auto repair purchase. I originally wanted a chase freedom but now that i am looking at my spending habits and what i use my card for it might not be a good fit for me and my lifestyle. The only i might consider is the amex blue preferred.


The Blue Cash Preferred is a great option if you spend enough to justify the fee. 6% on groceries is pretty difficult to beat.

 

 


yeIts funny how any card was my goal when  i started and i always wanted a chase freedom but i cant keep up with the categories.  now im like i only use my card for gas and groceries and back to school auto repairs, and utility bills ! LOL. Thank you for the insight
Message 9 of 50
Established Contributor

Re: Cash back Card what are your thoughts.


Callandra wrote:

How much do you spend on groceries a month? 

 

Any reason why you don't want SM (the caps are too low?)? 

 

I agree with KDM that in terms of pure cashback, Discover beats Freedom. Freedom is best if you want a Visa or if you want UR points because you plan on getting a CSP later. 


Thats a good question i did the points guy tool and the salle mae was an option and the amex blue preferred.  Maybe i read it wrong but i thought the salle mae only allows you to spend 250 a month and then you have the option i guess to credit to your student loans or credit. etc and i would exceed that in gorceries alone i spend about 400.00.   i could be wrong. maybe you can give me the 411

Message 10 of 50