cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cash back Card what are your thoughts.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cash back Card what are your thoughts.

Is the Discover Double Cash promotion still going on? That would be the best option, in my mind. Last I checked, it was supposed to terminate at the end of July, so you might still be able to get in. If it isn't, I would go with the Amex BCP that you were considering.

Out of curiosity, why are you anti Sallie Mae?
Message 11 of 50
sparklerd34
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Is the Discover Double Cash promotion still going on? That would be the best option, in my mind. Last I checked, it was supposed to terminate at the end of July, so you might still be able to get in. If it isn't, I would go with the Amex BCP that you were considering.

i thought when i read you can only spend 250 a month on groceries

Message 12 of 50
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@sparklerd34 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Sallie Mae gets a ton of love on here. Some of it is deserved, some of it is a bit overboard. If you spend enough to justify a BCP, there's no real reason to have a Sallie Mae unless your gas spend is also high enough that 5% is significantly more than 3% (BCP's gas return). Your max return on Sallie Mae is $12.50 a month on either gas/grocery category if maxed out. At 3% on gas with BCP for $250 spend you'd get $7.50. You decide if 5 bucks a month is worth it.

People have Sallie + BCE so they can fall back onto the BCE when they hit the cap on Sallie. But if you are spending more than $250 a month on groceries regularly, you may be able to justify the BCP anyway.

Message 13 of 50
sparklerd34
Established Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@sparklerd34 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Sallie Mae gets a ton of love on here. Some of it is deserved, some of it is a bit overboard. If you spend enough to justify a BCP, there's no real reason to have a Sallie Mae unless your gas spend is also high enough that 5% is significantly more than 3% (BCP's gas return). Your max return on Sallie Mae is $12.50 a month on either gas/grocery category if maxed out. At 3% on gas with BCP for $250 spend you'd get $7.50. You decide if 5 bucks a month is worth it.

People have Sallie + BCE so they can fall back onto the BCE when they hit the cap on Sallie. But if you are spending more than $250 a month on groceries regularly, you may be able to justify the BCP anyway.

ok one more question do i have to spend a certain amount to get the 6% on the BCP?  so say for instance i spending 350.00-400 a month on groceries and 200.00 a month  or is it a tier program?

Message 14 of 50
kdm31091
Super Contributor

No you get the 6% on groceries right away with BCP. No tier or anything. The older Blue Cash had I think 1% until you spend 6500 or something then you get 5%. The BCP has no such restriction, though the yearly cap is 6k on the 6% (then you get 1%).

If you spend 350 a month on groceries BCP is absolutely going to be worth it.

Message 15 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

No you get the 6% on groceries right away with BCP. No tier or anything. The older Blue Cash had I think 1% until you spend 6500 or something then you get 5%. The BCP has no such restriction, though the yearly cap is 6k on the 6% (then you get 1%).

Great if you're willing to wait two months for your cash, Lol.

Message 16 of 50
sparklerd34
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

If i can wait this long to get my credit in order, as long as i can benefit on what im already spending. Smiley Happy  2 months wont kill me LOL. sounds like the BCP is for me

Message 17 of 50
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

That is a downside and I hate that with my BCE. But really, even though yes Sallie does award the cash instantly, I believe you still have to wait to hit $25 to redeem, which is the same as BCE/BCP.

Message 18 of 50
sparklerd34
Established Contributor

@sparklerd34 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

If i can wait this long to get my credit in order, as long as i can benefit on what im already spending. Smiley Happy  2 months wont kill me LOL. sounds like the BCP is for me

thank you for some clarificaton that helps. i really dont need any more cards. just one last card and that will be good for me.

Message 19 of 50
steel_string
Regular Contributor

For comparisons like this, you really need to look at how much you spend and where and calculate how much you'd net after AF. Where do you buy those groceries? Will you be using the card for gas? Do you shop at Wal-Mart? Target? Amazon? bookstores?

Chase Sapphire Preferred ($24.005k), Fidelity VS ($17K), United MileagePlus Explorer ($17K), Chase Freedom ($15K), Chase Freedom Unlimited ($15K), AmEx Blue Cash ($12.5K), IHG One Rewards Premier ($6.1K), US Bank Cash+ ($5K)
Message 20 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.