Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cash back and minimum payments

tag
Marcos8
Established Contributor

Cash back and minimum payments

What happens with a card when you decide to redeem a cash back statement credit that exceeds what the minimum payment is on the statement? Does it just register as a payment or are you still expected to make the payment anyway? Thanks

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Cash back and minimum payments

@Marcos8 wrote:

What happens with a card when you decide to redeem a cash back statement credit that exceeds what the minimum payment is on the statement? Does it just register as a payment or are you still expected to make the payment anyway? Thanks

I know cap1 doesn't count cash back as a minimum payment. Or at least they didn't when I first got my card a few years back, not sure about other lenders. 

Message 2 of 11
jon22guitar
Regular Contributor

You're still likely required to make the minimum payment, hence the name.

Try it out before your payment due date, and let us know if the minimum amount due changes to 0.00.

CSP 10,000, Citi Forward 3400, Barclay Arrival+ 2750, BOA Travel Rewards 2700, Discover IT 1500, Chase Freedom 1000, Crap One 500
Message 3 of 11
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Marcos8 wrote:

Check your T&C, but typically you can't use rewards in lieu of a minimum payment.

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 4 of 11
Marcos8
Established Contributor

I'll check it out. On the flip side I don't want to redeem for a statement credit and it does count it as a payment... but it would be much smaller than my typical payments. As I know some lenders look closely at the size of your payment.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know on my Chase Freedom you can't use rewards towards your minimum payment.
Message 6 of 11
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

I know almost all of them say that. OP still has statement credit, but can it be considered purchase eraser? Do those need to be redeemed prior to statement cut?

Interesting to find out if OP zeros out balance, AND has to make minimum payment, because cap one won't let you pay more than 10% of what is showing as owing.
Signature needs updating
Message 7 of 11
taxi818
Super Contributor

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@Marcos8 wrote:

Check your T&C, but typically you can't use rewards in lieu of a minimum payment.

Yes. You can't  use as minimum  but if you got extra. It will be credit to your  account.  

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I did that with my Amex BCE, I had a balance of 35 left my min payment was 25 and I redeemed 40 cash back and it put my account as -5 and said 0 min payment due.  So from my experience YES, but that was 3 months ago if they changed it since then I dont know or maybe I got away with it and they didnt realize lol

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover applies it to my minimum payment but Amex doesn't for me.  Seems like a YMMV situation?

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.