Reply
Contributor
Posts: 92
Registered: ‎11-21-2012
0

Cash back at the register ????

Hey guys, I want to pay as many bills with my cards for the rewards and what not but some of my bills like the utilities and a couple others want to charge a fee to use a credit card. I was thinking why not when at the grocery store and other stores that let you get cash back at the register get as much as I can to pay these other bills and it would be like im paying them with cards right? My only question, would my credit card issuer look at it like a cash advance??

Amex BCE...Amex ED...Barclay WMC...Priceline Rewards Visa...Cap One Venture...Total Rewards Visa...Wells Fargo Visa...Discover IT...Pay Pal Smart Connect...Overstock Store Card...Lowe's Store Card


Established Contributor
Posts: 553
Registered: ‎02-14-2012
0

Re: Cash back at the register ????


lylesvegas wrote:

Hey guys, I want to pay as many bills with my cards for the rewards and what not but some of my bills like the utilities and a couple others want to charge a fee to use a credit card. I was thinking why not when at the grocery store and other stores that let you get cash back at the register get as much as I can to pay these other bills and it would be like im paying them with cards right? My only question, would my credit card issuer look at it like a cash advance??


 

Walmart is the only CC issuer that I know of that doesn't treat cash back at the register as a cash advance. Perhaps someone else knows differently.  It seems your scenario wouldn't be worth the extra cost and I don't believe you get rewards on cash advances.

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP


Frequent Contributor
Posts: 292
Registered: ‎01-17-2009
0

Re: Cash back at the register ????


adavis425 wrote:
Walmart is the only CC issuer that I know of that doesn't treat cash back at the register as a cash advance. Perhaps someone else knows differently.  It seems your scenario wouldn't be worth the extra cost and I don't believe you get rewards on cash advances.

also sam's club cc (doesn't treat cash back at the register as a cash advance)

 


BofA visa $9.4k ... BofA Cash Rewards visa sig $10k ... Cap 1 Venture1 visa sig $10k ...
Chase Freedom visa $10k ... Macy's $1.5k ... Macy's Amex $5k ... Sam's Club $6.3k
myFICOs as of 3/25/14:...EX=809 .... EQ=802....TU=787
Established Contributor
Posts: 635
Registered: ‎07-29-2010
0

Re: Cash back at the register ????

[ Edited ]

Discover's cash over treats cash back at the register as a regular purchase, not a cash advance. Only problem is you do not earn rewards on the cash over amount.

 

Discover's money messenger cound be a possible solution. It allows you to send someone money through paypal with no fees using your discover card. You could, in theory, send some money to your husband, wife, parent, etc. via paypal, have them transfer it into their bank account, and then give you the money. You are allowed to send $400 per day, with a $1000 per month limit. Discover's money messenger earns rewards just like a standard purchase.

 

If you have the money available, you could do what I do. Our electric company recently began charging a $3.95 per transaction credit card fee, so what I did was just pay it all at once for the whole year, like $1300. That way, I was only charged one $3.95 fee, and I earned the rewards all at once. But you'd need to pay it all off to avoid interest obviously, or it would completely defeat the purpose of earning rewards.

Discover IT $30K | FNBO Visa $25K | Citi Forward (grandfathered 5x Restaurants!) $14.5K | US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $15K | Priceline/Barclays $15K | Chase Freedom $10.5K | Amazon/Chase Visa Sig $8.3k | Southwest Premier $7.8K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity AMEX $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Sallie Mae World MC/Barclays $5K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | Commerce Bank $5K | WF Cash Back Visa $3.6K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | AMEX BCE $3K | Target $1K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 762, TU08 FICO (from Discover): 763, AAoA: 4.3 years
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 347
Registered: ‎11-17-2012
0

Re: Cash back at the register ????

I would be very careful using that option, even though the option is available. I would wonder if they still see the "cash" back as a "concern".

 

SisterGirl

SisterGirl
Contributor
Posts: 92
Registered: ‎11-21-2012
0

Re: Cash back at the register ????

Discover money messenger........That might work !!!

Amex BCE...Amex ED...Barclay WMC...Priceline Rewards Visa...Cap One Venture...Total Rewards Visa...Wells Fargo Visa...Discover IT...Pay Pal Smart Connect...Overstock Store Card...Lowe's Store Card


Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,987
Registered: ‎06-25-2012
0

Re: Cash back at the register ????

You might not get charged cash advanced fees or apr on those but it shows on your stament that you got cash back. I tried it with my discover IT card. On my stament it said

7.68 purchases
10.00 cash back

So they will deff know your using it.
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Established Member
Posts: 74
Registered: ‎07-10-2012
0

Re: Cash back at the register ????

Activate the Square and charge it to yourself Smiley Happy
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,408
Registered: ‎01-14-2009
0

Re: Cash back at the register ????


KevinBlock55 wrote:
Activate the Square and charge it to yourself Smiley Happy

2.75% per swipe

Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,296
Registered: ‎07-23-2012
0

Re: Cash back at the register ????


adavis425 wrote:

lylesvegas wrote:

Hey guys, I want to pay as many bills with my cards for the rewards and what not but some of my bills like the utilities and a couple others want to charge a fee to use a credit card. I was thinking why not when at the grocery store and other stores that let you get cash back at the register get as much as I can to pay these other bills and it would be like im paying them with cards right? My only question, would my credit card issuer look at it like a cash advance??


 

Walmart is the only CC issuer that I know of that doesn't treat cash back at the register as a cash advance. Perhaps someone else knows differently.  It seems your scenario wouldn't be worth the extra cost and I don't believe you get rewards on cash advances.


is there a way to see what your limit is on cash back at register? 

im assuming it a percentage of it.

i have a 5k limit but have never had a statement. 

so i have no idea how much "cash back" i can get

Current: Discover Fico 709 3/15 Walmart Fico 743 4/15

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 6 TU 1 EX 6 | Most Recent: 4/09/2015
Over 12 Months:9


2015 Goals:
Lower Utility
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.