Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cash back card for utilities?

tag
arkane
Established Contributor

Cash back card for utilities?

Besides the VantageWest Connect Rewards Visa and US Bank Cash+ (sorta, for cell phones at least), does anyone know of any cards out there that gives more than 2% on utilities? This is a guaranteed $1500+ annual expense, so it'd be great to claw back a few more $0.01's, and also a great way to help meet any spending requirements for sign up bonuses (if any exist).

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Re: Cash back card for utilities?

According to Magnify Money:

"At its core, this is a basic card.  You earn 1% cash back on your everyday spend, and there is no annual fee.

But, every quarter you have the ability to choose your own category where you can earn 3%.  So, if you know you are going to spend a lot at Wal-Mart, you can actually choose the category “Wal-Mart” for your 3% rate.  Or, if you are going to do a summer road trip, you can sign up for gas. 

The bonus is limited to $2,000 of spend per quarter."

http://www.magnifymoney.com/blog/earning-cashback/best-cash-back-credit-cards-for-every-category2227...

I've never heard of this one. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 2 of 41
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

The only card I can think of that gives more than 2% cashback on utilities is the Chase Ink Cash Business card. It's 5% cashback on phones (think both landlines and cells), internet services (dunno what this includes) and cable services. As you alluded to some people use their monthly expenses such as utilities to meet spending bonuses so could look into that as well depending on how you spend looks.

Message 3 of 41
arkane
Established Contributor

Oh trust me if I had a "business" I would've grabbed the Ink card already. Maybe it's time to start a 'business" eh? Smiley Very Happy The Huntington card looks interesting, but is basically the same as the VantageWest just with less CB%.

I'm surprised none of the big players has offered a good utilities CB card. It's a necessity and I'm sure there'd be demand for one. OTOH we have way too many gas cards on the market. Smiley Frustrated

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 4 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think the Ink Cash works here. It is 2% on gas and restaurants and 5% at office supply stores. Pretty sure the Ink Preferred is 3% on utilities.
Message 5 of 41
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I don't think the Ink Cash works here. It is 2% on gas and restaurants and 5% at office supply stores. Pretty sure the Ink Preferred is 3% on utilities.

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/olainkcash/th

And you'd be surprise how many people that have business cards that don't have a business.

Message 6 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

My mistake then. I have the card and don't even know what it does. *smacks forehead*
Message 7 of 41
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
My mistake then. I have the card and don't even know what it does. *smacks forehead*

The more you know!

Message 8 of 41
arkane
Established Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/olainkcash/th

And you'd be surprise how many people that have business cards that don't have a business.

Time to setup an eBay shell company oops I mean store Smiley Happy

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 9 of 41
SBR249
Established Contributor

If you have an in with Vantage West, their Connect Rewards card has utilities ("water, cell, electric, etc.") as a 5x point category. But AFAIK, it's pretty much limited to areas of AZ and certain other groups. 

Message 10 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.