Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cash back vs travel points

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cash back vs travel points

My coworker redeem 150,000 UR for statement credit. I asked him why? The bank teller suggested he should redeem it for statement credit.

Should have seen the look in his face after I told him what he could use the UR points for.
Message 71 of 105
yfan
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Your examples of Chase's nerfing, for example, prove my point, they don't contradict it.

How?   What high-risk behavvior is being addressed by getting rid of the dividend?   Or the 10% ion Freedom .  Or is you claim that  Chase has to reduce benefits becuase of high-risk abiuse in other areas, so everyone suffers.

Yep, this is it in this case. They don't have enough information to always pinpoint the abusers (without line item data in shopping lists, for example), and so they hit everyone with a hammer. In this instance, they are forced to act as a hammer because the scalpal is not available to them.

Message 72 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
My coworker redeem 150,000 UR for statement credit. I asked him why? The bank teller suggested he should redeem it for statement credit.

Should have seen the look in his face after I told him what he could use the UR points for.

That bank teller deserves a raise, Like seriously.

Message 73 of 105
yfan
Valued Contributor

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

Dear yfan and longtimelurker.  You offer valid view points, but the debate is taking this thread WAY off initial track.  Try to lesson the debate here, pretty please, with mileage bonus on top? Smiley Wink

Okay, okay. I'll try and lessen the debate. ;-) Haha sorry, I can be a grammar nazi sometimes - that is a fault I'll admit.

Message 74 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

He just used $15,000 as $1,500. Never tell him, otherwise he probably going to call CSR to reverse the redeemption, which they will laugh at him. 

Message 75 of 105
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I will say that i don't think it is an untrue generalization to say that most people (although perhaps not you) prefer a more upscale hotel to a less upscale one. And while yes i fly coach most of the time too, i cannot possibly be alone when i feel miserable after a 12 hour flight in coach. If i am flying boston to new york then sure flying business would be a waste of time. If i am flyingg boston to dubai though...

Whether using extra points or extra money, the business class experience would ruin it for me, if the one in the seat next to me had the habit of chewing gum, flipping magazine papers and all that restless stuff that makes it impossible to fall asleep or otherwise calm down. If the company is pleasant and passes the time easily, coach works for me. Ditto for the hotel.

Message 76 of 105
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@yfan wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

No, I am saying you don't know what, if anything, is putting the system at risk.   After all, my guess (and just a guess) would be the vast majority of card holders do not churn, and churning every two years for 40K UR may not be at all significant, compared to the cost of a large number of people spending decent amounts of money month after month.   Certainly large volumes of miles from credit cards has caused airliens to devalue their rewards.   Maybe most of htis was from bonus churners, or maybe not.   But I don't think you know any better than I do.

So, everyone, please spend no more than $50 a month on your reward cards or you will put the programs in peril for us all!

Nah, in fact, let's all churn and make it mandatory for everyone who uses a card at all to do the same. Because hey, we don't know that to be a threat to the system now, do we?

I knew you'd come around!!

Putt' er' there, Pal! Smiley Very Happy

More snark?  Let's remember this forum is not typical of current card holders.

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@yfan wrote:

Recently you complained about people deciding what your argument was, and here you are doing the same. 

Not even close. I bolded a direct quote from you that clearly states pretty much exactly what I claimed you said. You claimed that I don't know that churning is putting the system at risk and followed it up by saying that most people don't churn, and those who do are drowned out by those who don't. You stated your argument. I didn't decide it for you.

My point is many cards lose value (including partner devaluations) anyway, despite my belef that only a tiny portion of users churn.     Basically too many people earning too many points for the airlines and hotels to be happy.   Perhaps your belief that "churning is bad" colors your interpretation. 

As restated here, that was not my argument.   Equally, a small minority of people with a card live in zip codes beginning 024, and cards are nerfed anyway, does not imply that I iflat out admit that living in 024 is a risk to issuers, but these are drowned out by those living elsewhere.   I am suggesting that BECAUSE the number iof churners is small (if it indeed is) there is no good reason to ascribe blame to them to the extent you do.   So, yes, you were misinterpreting my argument,  which you complained about others doing to you.  

Your examples of Chase's nerfing, for example, prove my point, they don't contradict it.

How?   What high-risk behavvior is being addressed by getting rid of the dividend?   Or the 10% ion Freedom .  Or is you claim that  Chase has to reduce benefits becuase of high-risk abiuse in other areas, so everyone suffers.   Which would be circular as that is the point of contention.

Dear yfan and longtimelurker.  You offer valid view points, but the debate is taking this thread WAY off initial track.  Try to lessen the debate here, pretty please, with mileage bonus on top? Smiley Wink

What's OP's take on it?

Message 77 of 105
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

4 months later?

Message 78 of 105
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

4 months later?

Wondering the same thing. Smiley Indifferent

Signature needs updating
Message 79 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Smiley Surprised

Message 80 of 105
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.