Cash benefits...

tag
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Re: Cash benefits...

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Repairman wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

My cell phone bill is $8.33 a month. Verizon.

How is that? 

Also, how is the US Bank Cash Plus card? Do you love it? And I have a question about your Sallie Mae card. In your Sig it says you earn 3% Cash Back on Dining, but I can't find any mention of that on the Sallie Mae cc site. Is that correct?

Im not TMWC, but SM offers SOME people quarterly specials, giving an extra 2% on certain categories.   So if these are 1% categories, it becomes 3%, and if 5%, they become 7%.     And quite often, once you start getting them, you keep getting them

I haven't been that lucky; I got it once, that was last quarter. Before that, nothing for a year. And nothing since last quarter Smiley Sad

Message 21 of 32
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

How much do you all clear per year in card benefits.  With my new rotation I should be clearing a little over $1000 per year, just for spending money.  My primary contributor will be the Cash+ card's 5% on cell phone bills.  My bill is about $500 per month. 

You should probably also mention the spend base.

Ideally, certain categories like rent and education needs to be removed because there's almost no card that offers a cashback on then (New Mexico Educators offers for one quarter on education but that's it I guess) so that'd be a start.

Then the rewards could be split into CB and points which could have been redeemed at a different value than 1cpp. 

I'll do my calc and post next week, a bit tied up right now Smiley Happy

Message 22 of 32
Repairman
Established Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

I switched to a verizon pre paid plan. I pay for $100 worth of minutes each year, and thus the minutes do not expire for a year. 

And you never use data?

Message 23 of 32
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@Repairman wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

I switched to a verizon pre paid plan. I pay for $100 worth of minutes each year, and thus the minutes do not expire for a year. 

And you never use data?

I'm way too much of a computer geek to ever use data on a cell phone. I have a Dell I7 desktop with wired network fed by a DSL line and large monitor (only 27")  and even better data connections when I'm at work.

Last Sunday the power went out in my neighborhood for 3 hours, so I just charged my laptop (I intentionally let my ASUS Taichi laptop discharge, since I usually keep it plugged in all the time, so this was just real bad timing for a power outage) off my UPS, which was also powering my DSL line, and kept right on surfin the Internet  Smiley Wink

You all can keep your tiny little screens and icons.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 24 of 32
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@Ghoshida wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

How much do you all clear per year in card benefits.  With my new rotation I should be clearing a little over $1000 per year, just for spending money.  My primary contributor will be the Cash+ card's 5% on cell phone bills.  My bill is about $500 per month. 

Ideally, certain categories like rent and education needs to be removed because there's almost no card that offers a cashback on then (New Mexico Educators offers for one quarter on education but that's it I guess) so that'd be a start.

Then the rewards could be split into CB and points which could have been redeemed at a different value than 1cpp. 

LMAO. I'd love to throw my tuition bill on there, if it's greater than 2.45%... incoming $$$$$$$$$$

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 25 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

made over $6,430 in rewards in these past 10 months between me and my wifey Smiley Happy

Message 26 of 32
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@Ghoshida wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

LMAO. I'd love to throw my tuition bill on there, if it's greater than 2.45%... incoming $$$$$$$$$$

Its a 5% rotating category card. They changed their bank's name to Nusenda.

http://www.nmefcu.org/home/loans-and-credit/credit-cards

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 27 of 32
onstar
Established Contributor

@Repairman wrote:

@onstar wrote:

In 2014, I got $250 back from Discover on $10,000 spend. I guess half of all charges were on the 5%. First half of 2014, I only had 2 CCs with a total CL of <$5,000.

Now, 25+ cards and almost $200K in total CL. Craycray.

My goal is to average 2.5% back. Most of my spending is restaurants and entertainment. I really should get the Chase AARP card for 3%.

I spend <$1k per YEAR in gas. Same with groceries.

This year, I'm expecting around $1,250, based on $50K spend.

Wow, your spend and cards in your signature (what I have AND mostly want) look very close to my profile. I'm very curious to whether you see specific benefits or cons to getting a Banna Republic, J Crew, Best Buy and Amazon.com Chase Visa card. Those are all cards I'm considering applying for. I don't do a huge spend at either store anymore, but have shopped very regularly in the past at Banana, Best Buy & Amazon.

Also, how did you manage to get such a huge jump in available credit and cards in such a short amount of time? What was your applying technique/timeframe?

BR, JC: I shop at BR way more than JC. These are basically 5% store cards. My BR card was a store card that had I had for maybe 15 months (?). One day when I logged in to pay my bill, I got a splash screen saying that they would give me a complimentary upgrade to the BR Visa. Plus a free $30 BR certificate for doing so (and by making 1 purchase outside BR with the new card). It's a new TL, but what the heck. I just got the JC card this year. Fell for the SCT. I wish I didn't open one, but I got a discount on my purchase plus 5% back so, again, WTH.

BB: Got it when I bought a TV last year. I rarely shop at BB, so I kinda wish I hadn't. But again, 5% back. WTH.

Chase Amazon: I fell for the SCT again. Well, not exactly a SCT, but close enough. I got $30 Amazon credit for applying, blah, blah. At the time, it was great because I got 3% back. Now that the Amazon Store Card with Prime gets me 5% back, this Chase Amazon has been SD. I've been a Prime member since the beginning. I place about 1 Amazon order per week. A few years ago, I had 110 Amazon orders in one year.

Huge jump in total CL: My scores went from ~600 to ~660 in 2014, mostly from making payments on time, paying down the debt, then PIF each month. I still have derogs in my reports, but I've been really good with my CC usage. Making lots of purchases and PIF each month. Today, my 3 scores are now between 690 and 710. Had an app spree in February (added ~$100K in CL) and a mini spree in the past 2 weeks (including $30K Venture). But it's more than just credit scores, especially with Chase. Long story short, they gave me lots of CL based on my history with them.

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 28 of 32
happypill
Valued Contributor

On pace to spend about $110k on cards this year.  Some of that will be 5% on Sallie Mae for gas, groceries & Amazon.  The rest will all be at 2% on the Venture.  Total rewards for spend only (not sign-on) should be around $3k for the year.  I don't keep records that closely.

Message 29 of 32
Repairman
Established Contributor

@onstar wrote:

BR, JC: I shop at BR way more than JC. These are basically 5% store cards. My BR card was a store card that had I had for maybe 15 months (?). One day when I logged in to pay my bill, I got a splash screen saying that they would give me a complimentary upgrade to the BR Visa. Plus a free $30 BR certificate for doing so (and by making 1 purchase outside BR with the new card). It's a new TL, but what the heck. I just got the JC card this year. Fell for the SCT. I wish I didn't open one, but I got a discount on my purchase plus 5% back so, again, WTH.

What were your scores and credit limit like when you got approved for the original card? And isn't a new Trade Line a good thing?

Had an app spree in February (added ~$100K in CL) and a mini spree in the past 2 weeks (including $30K Venture). But it's more than just credit scores, especially with Chase. Long story short, they gave me lots of CL based on my history with them.

How many cards did you add at that time, and how close together? All apps in same day?

Message 30 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.