Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cash out?

tag
IgnatiusReilly
Regular Contributor

Re: Cash out?

How is it fraud when it's your own credit cards and money?

I understand where you are coming from now, JaymesCheese.  Now may I borrow $5,000 of my money from you?  

Message 21 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@IgnatiusReilly wrote:

How is it fraud when it's your own credit cards and money?

I understand where you are coming from now, JaymesCheese.  Now may I borrow $5,000 of my money from you?  

Cheers!

Message 22 of 38
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Sure it's an interesting theoretical question, but from the perspective of members here, who are generally working hard to rebuild their profiles (or even game the system), anyone who considers actually DOING it should be flogged, because it will cost honest people opportunities, and cost taxpayers money, etc., etc., etc.  If you were just out to rip off lenders, there are other sites more conducive to those sentiments. This is a site about learning how to maximize rewards and benefits within the confines of the credit scoring system, and how behaviors influence scores.

There is no ethical difference between the scenario you described and workplace embezzlement. In both cases, you build up trust in order to steal. Whether or not you "get away with it" there will be unpredictable and unanticipated negative effects besides negative marks on scores. Likely judgements, that don't go away, possible employment effects (more and more employers are requiring a good credit report to be deemed trustworthy for emlpoyment), increased rates for auto loans, insurance and other products, or even denials, due to poor credit.

Right, but a large number of people here rebuilding their credit HAVE in fact declared BK, which, while legal, does have costs to society as a whole.  So any abhorrence to the OP should be tempered with a small amount of whatever....

Message 23 of 38
sarge12
Senior Contributor

Let us be clear. An honest creditor uses an individuals credit score to determine if they are trustworthy. It takes a great deal of elapsed time to acheive 800 credit scores because anyone can be honest for 3 months. Creditors wish to have customers who are honest all the time. Creditors do understand that even those borrowers do not have the ability to see the future and unforseeable things can happen....Job losses, medical problems, and such. That is why there are BK laws. Even then, honest borrowers will not hide. They will call the creditors and let them know that they are honest, but could not forsee the unexpected problems. When honestly approached, many times creditors will work with the borrower, sometimes even forgiving some of the debt. The two biggest threats to this equally beneficial arrangement are predatory lenders who take advantage of the poor by charging ridiculous 200% interest, and crooked dishonest borrowers who try and game the system and steal an honest creditors money. Both are equally deplorable.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 24 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

How is it fraud when it's your own credit cards and money? "

It's not your money. It's the lenders. What you're suggesting is very unethical. I don't know if one would be imprisoned, but you can't just think that in 7 yrs you'll be free of it. They could still put a judgement again you and that could make things even worse. Filing bk doesn't mean you're just free of all debt.

"It's not your money."  Exactly what I was going to say.  The only thing I can add to what Roodog said is that intent is a big part of what you are asking.  Running up debt and then not being able to pay (for whatever reason, both of your own doing and circumstances beyond your control) is completely different from intentionally going about a way to defraud the banking system.  And asking the question online (even "theoretically") suddenly opens you up to proof of intent.  How many people are in jail because they "theoretically" asked how to best murder a spouse ("completely for research purposes, of course"), and at the trial, their internet history was entered into evidence?

Message 25 of 38
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Do you know anyone or has anyone ever used all their credit cards and purchased a house and never pay it back? Or even combined all their credit cards and purchased a business and never pay it back and live with the +7 years collection?  I know some of these users here have up to +$100k credit card limits.  I'm just wondering because in America, they don't put you in jail if you owed credit card debts. Maybe people can abused the system. What do you think?

It's "philosophies" ( and I use this term loosely) like this that depicts what's wrong with this country. People trying to get something for nothing without any regard for anybody but themselves! Even the title of this post is suggesting that credit cards and subsequently ones credit history is in a manner of speaking, like a "day in Las Vegas" where you can "cash out" your chips and run. Perhaps "thinking" ( again, I use this term loosely) such as this is the reason most if not all credit card companies have a different credit limit vs cash advance limit.  

Sad, very sad. 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 26 of 38
northface28
Established Contributor

Says a lot about person if you're wired to think this way. Sorry in advance if that statement violates the terms of agreement.
BK Discharged 9/11

Cap1 Quiksilver Visa Signature $41k| Discover IT $24k| Barclays Uber VISA $16.2k|BOA Cash Rewards $8.4k| BOA BBR $6k|AMEX Cash Magnet $12.8k|AMEX BCP $16.6k|Huntington Voice $5.5k|Citi Double Cash $5.7k| US Bank Cash+ $6.5k
Message 27 of 38
Kidcat
Established Contributor

@Kostya1992 wrote:

My bro accumilated roughly 200K+ in credit limits from all sorts of stuff and maxed them and now he gets letters in the mail. That's about all.

Has the SOL passed.  If not, those letters may turn into Summons

Last app 09/21/2021. Gardening Goal Oct 2023
Message 28 of 38
Kidcat
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Do you know anyone or has anyone ever used all their credit cards and purchased a house and never pay it back? Or even combined all their credit cards and purchased a business and never pay it back and live with the +7 years collection?  I know some of these users here have up to +$100k credit card limits.  I'm just wondering because in America, they don't put you in jail if you owed credit card debts. Maybe people can abused the system. What do you think?

They do put you in jail for fraud.

How is it fraud when it's your own credit cards and money? Are you saying that we are limited in spending? Fraud is not the correct term to describe this topic. You cannot get put in jail if you get sent to collection. What's wrong if I swipe my $20k AMEX and my $20k Chase together to buy a corvette and never paid my credit cards back? Is this fraud?

Yes it is if you did it with the intent of never paying it back.  That's criminal.

Message 29 of 38
Kidcat
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Sure it's an interesting theoretical question, but from the perspective of members here, who are generally working hard to rebuild their profiles (or even game the system), anyone who considers actually DOING it should be flogged, because it will cost honest people opportunities, and cost taxpayers money, etc., etc., etc.  If you were just out to rip off lenders, there are other sites more conducive to those sentiments. This is a site about learning how to maximize rewards and benefits within the confines of the credit scoring system, and how behaviors influence scores.

There is no ethical difference between the scenario you described and workplace embezzlement. In both cases, you build up trust in order to steal. Whether or not you "get away with it" there will be unpredictable and unanticipated negative effects besides negative marks on scores. Likely judgements, that don't go away, possible employment effects (more and more employers are requiring a good credit report to be deemed trustworthy for emlpoyment), increased rates for auto loans, insurance and other products, or even denials, due to poor credit.

Right, but a large number of people here rebuilding their credit HAVE in fact declared BK, which, while legal, does have costs to society as a whole.  So any abhorrence to the OP should be tempered with a small amount of whatever....

The difference is intent!  

Many people (I understand not all) had every intention of paying back the debts they incurred, and life (in my case a nasty divorce that lasted 2 years) got in the way.  There was no intent to no pay the debt prior to incurring.

Message 30 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.