cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cashback people, largest amount you've earned in rewards in one month/year.

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Cashback people, largest amount you've earned in rewards in one month/year.

@delaney1 wrote:

@noobody wrote:
During the glory hay days of Cash+ unlimited 5% cash back on bill pay, people pay tens thousands on company utility bill, rack them so fast, US bank doesn't know what hit them.

Wow! Someone didn't think that through. LOL

What's amusing is that companues keep making similar mistakes.   The basic rule I would have as an issuer is "Cap high value rewards" (so 1 and 2% can be uncapped, 5% certainly needs to be). It seems to me that those that wouldn't get a card because the top earning rate is capped are probably precisely the people you don't want anyway!

It will be interesting to see if DIscover will regret not capping the 3% on Miles, or the Discover Deals on the IT!

Message 21 of 34
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Note I did include travel rewards in there. We are a little closer to 6-10K. But on a heavy work travel month approaching 15K for sure.

Still I won't get anywhere as close. 

BTW I valued my travel (UR points, Southwest Rewards, as well as Venture Miles) at $0.01 for that calculation. The first two generally give me a considerably higher value, at between 1.5-2 cpp so my total rewards for this year will be a bit higher, but I don't put that in my calculations.

Message 22 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm curious to know how much themanwhocan gets each year in cashback.
Message 23 of 34
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

I did about $6k last year including some bonuses. On track for a little under the same this year

Message 24 of 34
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

This topic comes up frequently, but I don't really get the attraction.    If you have lots of reimbursed business expenses, you can have large figures, even using the "wrong" cards.    If you churn bonuses, or (especially) do MS, your figures will be much bigger than those doing normal everyday spend.

A (slightly) more interesting figure as a measure of "skill" is % return on spend, but even there, if most of my spend is on my collection of 18th century fishing rods (where I am lucky to be able to use a credit card at all, let alone get a category bonus), I am at a disadvantage to someone who uses the Sallie Mae for the majority of their spend.

Message 25 of 34
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@longtimelurker wrote:

This topic comes up frequently, but I don't really get the attraction.    If you have lots of reimbursed business expenses, you can have large figures, even using the "wrong" cards.    If you churn bonuses, or (especially) do MS, your figures will be much bigger than those doing normal everyday spend.

A (slightly) more interesting figure as a measure of "skill" is % return on spend, but even there, if most of my spend is on my collection of 18th century fishing rods (where I am lucky to be able to use a credit card at all, let alone get a category bonus), I am at a disadvantage to someone who uses the Sallie Mae for the majority of their spend.

+1

No offense to the folks with huge reimbursable business expenses or the MS'ers, but I'm much more impressed with the 'regular' guy/gal who is able to 'work' the rewards in such a way so that the absolute maxium is earned each month for their personal spending. 

I know the topic of this thread is "largest amount", and it's fun to hear of the folks doing really well, but for me, I'm actually much more impressed with 'quality' over 'quantity', and by quality I mean knowing exactly what card to use, and when.  Smiley Wink

Message 26 of 34
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

You do have a good point there; for those lucky enough with reimbursable travel expenses, they can make bank on rewards. My post was for the day-to-day low spender. I do get $30+ in cashback with Sallie Mae every two months or so and that is just with my normal spend (I do not buy gift cards unless it is actually a gift and that's like 2-3 times a year, max). I think I do a decent job of getting rewards (no, my rewards are not maxed out but I honestly can't be bothered to have more cards and micro manage things every time I want to buy something. Plus my spend is low so the difference isn't significant). 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 27 of 34
Beckhsrules
Frequent Contributor

Thanks to Discover Deals racked up $779 in cashback on my Discover last year. I got the card in April 2014. 

AAoA: 1 yr 3 mo | FICO Scores: EX: 720, TU: 724, EQ: 705 | Inq: EX: 13, EQ: 8, TU: 7 | GARDENING AS OF 3/13/2017
Message 28 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

hence why i asked my question earlier. obviously churners even with normal person budget can accumulate $1,000 a year in sign up bonuses alone
Message 29 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@-Cal- wrote:

I did about $6k last year including some bonuses. On track for a little under the same this year

With bonuses I'd say I clocked in at close to $10,000 over the last year, Including the $2,500-$3,500 in established rewards and cashback.

Message 30 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.