Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Categories and Walmart

tag
IncrsCreditScore1
Valued Contributor

Categories and Walmart

WalMart advised me that their categories are by region and that the region I live in WalMart is coded only as merchandise not as groceries.  Therefore, I never get the 5% offered by some credit cards.  IMO that is wrong, food is food, whether in Siberia or Texas.  I don't understand why WalMart would categorize as groceries in some area and as merchandise. 

I am wondering what region you live in and how WalMart codes their purchases.

January 2018 Scores - EQ 797 | TU 800 | EX 798 | ~~Started Gardening Again on March 21, 2017
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Callandra
Valued Contributor

Re: Categories and Walmart

I live in Florida (Gulf Coast) and both nearby Wal-Mart Supercenters code as groceries here. I once bought an iPod from the electronics register and I still got the groceries points. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Two of the three Walmarts near me in Illinois code as groceries via MasterCard. The third codes as merchandise. So I think that theory of region specific coding is either false or the regional boundary runs through my city (possible, I guess).

Message 3 of 8
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Walmart in North Carolina always codes as groceries so I get 2% on BofA. Amex specifically does not give bonuses for Walmart tho
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 4 of 8
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Like I always say with these type of posts though -- Walmart is generally (not always) cheaper for groceries. So the point is that whether or not you get your 5% rewards, you are still at the end of the day on average paying less than you would at the grocery store. Not that Walmart is always cheaper, of course, but my point is that overall, the lower prices will beat potential loss of 2-5% rewards. So it's not worth worrying about it.

None of my local walmarts come up as grocery (here in Delaware).

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Both Wal-Marts in my area code as grocery. Only one is defined as a Neighborhood Market but both have food items so not certain how that works. I cant buy groceries from Wal-Mart though. Section is extremely limited and they dont carry the brands I like except for juice. So I could make two trips and save maybe 50 cents per bottle going to Wal-Mart for one item or I could stick to Safeway where I can get everything I need at once. Smiley Happy Safeway for the win.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Live in California Bay Area btw
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

IncrsCreditScore wrote:

WalMart advised me that their categories are by region and that the region I live in WalMart is coded only as merchandise not as groceries.  Therefore, I never get the 5% offered by some credit cards.  IMO that is wrong, food is food, whether in Siberia or Texas.  I don't understand why WalMart would categorize as groceries in some area and as merchandise. 

I am wondering what region you live in and how WalMart codes their purchases.

I am in texas and with my sallie mae its 5%

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.