Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Category Maxed out for Discover & Chase

tag
redpat
Senior Contributor

Re: Category Maxed out for Discover & Chase

@kdm31091 wrote:
I agree that you may as well get cash back for eating out. The trick is not to eat out more just because of the cash back.

It's that everyone's lifestyle and income are different, just my business meals and entertainment would make most choke never mind my personal budget.  I'm out three to four times a week for business luncheons then through in three to four business dinners a month and you get the picture.  Personally 200 - 300 a week, that's just one dinner at The Capital Grille, lol.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 21 of 27
deltatee
Frequent Contributor

I rarely max out the category spending.  However, I maxed out groceries on my Freedom for Costco gift cards.  I also wouldn't be surprised if I max out home improvements next quarter on discover.

Message 22 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is my first quarter with a rotating card, but i could see maxing out dining and entertainment and Amazon. Would rather be stockpiling UR points but it's gonna be a minute before i can get a regular freedom.
Message 23 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
+1 same here. On both examples.

Man… if I had a 1500 entertaing budget I'd remodel the backyard kitchen and bring the party home.

Okay, you made me smile. Smiley Happy Great attitude!

Message 24 of 27
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@degs138 wrote:

There are some categroy quarters where I wish I had two of the same card.

If you have a lot of spend in a given category then you may not want to rely solely on cards with rotating categories for that spend if there are other options.  If rewards are a priority then start with your major spend cateogies (including noncategory) and find cards that maximize rewards on your major spend.  Don't just focus on the earn rate of a given card.

Message 25 of 27
buck_russell
New Contributor

@degs138 wrote:

I thought it would be fun to see how some people on here use their 5% categories.  Some discussion would be good.  There are some categroy quarters where I wish I had two of the same card.  Discover right now for Resturants.  We're 54 days in the quarter and I've used up my 1500.  Back to my CSP card for now.

I'm already planning on spending over the 1500 on home improvement stores next quarter on the first day.

I don't use my Chase freedom right now because I already have a AMEX BCP so groceries are taken care of.

I hope I get the US bank Cash+ I applied for, I'll be using that for Cell Phones and rotate the other catagory between resturants and Home/Furnature stores

I've actually been using the Chase this qtr instead of my BCP.  I normally get to 6k in groceries right around mid sept and switch to my BCE, so I figured I'd take the extra 2% by giving the BCP  a rest this quarter.  My BCE might only see minimal activity near the end of December.

Message 26 of 27
degs138
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
+1 same here. On both examples.

Man… if I had a 1500 entertaing budget I'd remodel the backyard kitchen and bring the party home.

Okay, you made me smile. Smiley Happy Great attitude!

Yeah, already have the contractor working on the deck and backyard kitchen w/ a brick smoker.  I always spend 500-1k in resturant catagories a month.  Cards don't influence, I get the cards to match my spending budget.

UR points are valuable, I'll probably start using the freedom for the rest of the year.

FICO TU 757 Eq 741 116,900 Total revolving Credit.
Favorite cards: AMEX BCP, US Bank Cash+, Chase Sapphire Prefered
Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.