Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Category Maxed out for Discover & Chase

tag
degs138
Established Contributor

Category Maxed out for Discover & Chase

I thought it would be fun to see how some people on here use their 5% categories.  Some discussion would be good.  There are some categroy quarters where I wish I had two of the same card.  Discover right now for Resturants.  We're 54 days in the quarter and I've used up my 1500.  Back to my CSP card for now.

I'm already planning on spending over the 1500 on home improvement stores next quarter on the first day.

I don't use my Chase freedom right now because I already have a AMEX BCP so groceries are taken care of.

I hope I get the US bank Cash+ I applied for, I'll be using that for Cell Phones and rotate the other catagory between resturants and Home/Furnature stores

FICO TU 757 Eq 741 116,900 Total revolving Credit.
Favorite cards: AMEX BCP, US Bank Cash+, Chase Sapphire Prefered
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Category Maxed out for Discover & Chase

I guess I'm just a low spender because I never max out or even come close on the categories. Dining is something I do a lot but not 500 dollars a month worth. The only one I've maxed out before was home improvement on a large Home Depot purchase.
Message 2 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1 same here. On both examples.

Man… if I had a 1500 entertaing budget I'd remodel the backyard kitchen and bring the party home.
Message 3 of 27
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
+1 same here. On both examples.

Man… if I had a 1500 entertaing budget I'd remodel the backyard kitchen and bring the party home.

Smart money and you'll get more than the $75 rewards back in the long run and pay for the party a few times 

I like your thinking 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know you're going to give up some travel expenses because you're not paying for a hotel… all the members here are different points in their lives ha ha
Message 5 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have never maxed them out but I will this time for Chase on groceries. With all thevening grads, mothers and fathers day giftcards!! This is my fave categoryx. I won't max out restaurants bit it's a good one. I'm using Discover now.
Message 6 of 27
delaney1
Established Contributor

I only max out groceries, so I've been using my Freedom a lot.

Message 7 of 27
redpat
Senior Contributor

I decided to SD discover and still use my CSP for restaurant spend, I know I'll lose $27+- bucks but I could get more or the same value with UR points.

When I did use the 5% category I blew through the $1,500 in about a month and half.  I could still make it though, lol!

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 8 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Add me to the group that never maxes out on the categories, but restaurants on Discover have come in handy for work trips and groceries/Sams/Costco Online have been great to have for my Freedom.  I will be very sad to see groceries go.

I lucked out on the last day of a Keurig sale at Costco.com and got my new Keurig 2.0 for $95 at 5% !!!

Message 9 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just reminded myself of the fact that we can use Freedom at Costco starting June 20th, so I just may happen to max out this quarter.  That would be a first, but it has been a great category.  I missed out on groceries last year.

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.