Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Centurion (black) card

tag
UPSGregg
Established Member

Re: Centurion (black) card

The Centurion Card is hands down the biggest rip off in human history. It's silly to pay those fees when the Platinum Card does practically the same thing at a fraction of the price.

Starting Score: EQ 779
Current Score: EQ 779
Goal Score: EQ 800+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 21 of 29
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

@UPSGregg wrote:
The Centurion Card is hands down the biggest rip off in human history. It's silly to pay those fees when the Platinum Card does practically the same thing at a fraction of the price.

if you have the platinum card i think they started doing holiday shopping last year..its a prestige thing like zync vs gold like i wanted.. i should be glad to have an amex.... if you will use the black card for what its for then go for if not go for plat..i am sticking to sync for now becaus i cant justfy my spending for the AF. thinking about how much it is for the black card and how much you need to spend i will never justfy it. i may get plat at some point once i make some money and not just 25k a year 

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 22 of 29
MrShush
Valued Contributor

We should be mindful that this is what the OP wants. If he wants to spend his money on the Cent, that is all him. More power to you bro.
Message 23 of 29
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

@MrShush wrote:
We should be mindful that this is what the OP wants. If he wants to spend his money on the Cent, that is all him. More power to you bro.

i agree all the power to him i just cant see the fee it takes me along time to earn the af at my job.. i wish i could spend 25k a month lol 

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 24 of 29
UPSGregg
Established Member

Many Centurion Card members are "downgrading" to the Platinum because the benefits are practically the same.  $450 is not so lame if you travel because you are basically paying Amex in advance for checked luggage and airport lounges.  The Centurion AF is nothing more than a membership fee.  If someone wants to have it simply to impress people than I feel sorry for them. The only people that are impressed by it have no clue as to how much of a rip off the card is.  

Starting Score: EQ 779
Current Score: EQ 779
Goal Score: EQ 800+

Message 25 of 29
Open123
Super Contributor

I've known a few people who have downgraded their Centurion cards to the Green or PR Gold.

In my view, the Centurion card has some value during your peak earning years when perception is as important as the substance of your work.  Being in the entertainment, finance, and advertising industries come to mind.

After those years, there's little reason to pay a fee for the Platinum or Gold let alone the Black one.

Message 26 of 29
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@visorboy1974 wrote:

There should be a Snopes entry for Palladium Card criteria.  

lol, good one. Very true.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 27 of 29
Midwestsho
Established Member

More power to you.  It would be cool but the buzz would subside almost immediately for me.  I'm about in the same boat, spending the same kind of money but I had to sit down and do the math on the platinum upgrade to see if even that was worth my while over gold.  I travel a lot so it's absolutely worth it and in the two months I've had it I've more than gotten my $450 worth.  The bump up to Centurion gives you almost no added benefits.  I mean you get a dedicated concierge agent instead of taking your chances with whoever you get but that's not worth 5k a year to me.

I can spend at will with my platinum and it's still plenty enough prestige.  I'd have to have an aweful lot of "F you" money to drop 5k a year on a Centurion.  

That said, if/ when you get it be sure to post pictures!

Message 28 of 29
drkaje
Senior Contributor

A buddy had one and eventually did a PC. Benefits were cool but once he cut back on spending the value just wasn't there.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.