Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chain Restaurants not taking Discover

tag
john398
Senior Contributor

Chain Restaurants not taking Discover

So far I had 2 restaurants say they do not take Discover thats Cici's Pizza and In and Out burger, of course I like to get the 5% on restaurants this quarter, anyone know of any other Chain's that do not take Discover?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

Re: Chain Restaurants not taking Discover

My Cici's takes Discover. 

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 2 of 13
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

If they're franchised restaurants, then it's probably up to the owner/operator of that particular restaurant whether or not they want to take Discover.

But I could be wrong.

Photobucket
Message 3 of 13
john398
Senior Contributor

@FloridaState12 wrote:

If they're franchised restaurants, then it's probably up to the owner/operator of that particular restaurant whether or not they want to take Discover.

But I could be wrong.

This was a franchinse one I believe, I think I will contact cici's and see what they say

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not all restaurants in a chain will take the same cards.  I know that one Quiznos around me takes Amex and another one didn't before it closed.

Message 5 of 13
2NE1
Established Contributor

my Cici's Pizza only takes cash.

Smiley Indifferent
Message 6 of 13
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

As a business owner, I can tell you why. Discover has one of the highest merchant fee rates. Rewards cards can hit the merchant for upto 7%. You didn't think that the cc companies are paying you to use THEIR CARD did you? The merchants pays the cc card companies those monies. That takes all of the profit and more from a sale. Imagine, I complete a $ 1000.00 sale with you and I immediately pay cc company $ 70.00 just to say " Thank You for your business" So as you can see, it is marketing 101. Do you want cheap prices or do you want higher prices and then a credit card cash back or cash discount at the register? The end price is about the same. It's how you get to the finnish line that counts. So simply put, merchants who take cash/check can offer lower EVERYday prices and services.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 7 of 13
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Subway is also like this... some take Discover and some dont.  Some take Amex and some dont.   Franchisee makes the decision on what to accept

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 8 of 13
tsquad131
Frequent Contributor

its true a subway by my job changed ownership and stopped taking amex and discover, now its only visa and mastercard

amazon
Message 9 of 13
Ron1
Super Contributor

I just came back from LA. In & Out burger only takes Visa and Mastercard ( not Amex and Discover) . I went to the company store and they don't take it. They got some good burgers and fries ( better than Mc Donalds). You always carry either Visa/MC in your wallet and some cash for those places don't accept any credit card. 

Ron.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.