Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chance of Venture?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chance of Venture?

I am thinking of applying for the Venture card, I previously applied in August and was denied. At the time I had just opended my Quicksilver1 and a Platinum card from Capitol one that June. I also opended up a Chase Freedom in August 2015. Those were the first cards I opened since 2011 when I got a secure card from Capital One for $200 (that I still have since it's my oldest card). I had a 30 day late on mortgage from 2/2015, over a year ago. Below are my stats from August 2015 and now:

August Quicksilver 1 $3000 (2 months old)

Platimnum $2000 (2 months old)

Chase Freedom $4500 (1 month old)

Scores (are in signature from July)

March Quicksilver 1 $10.650

Platinum (closed March 2016 to combine with QS1)

Chase Freedom $4500

Scores are below

I love my QS1 and roll over all my cashback to my travel fund so I was thinking that with the Venture I could get 2% vs 1.5%, plus the bonus miles. I do travel atleast 3-4 times a year domestically and atleast once internationally. I am going to Europe in July for 8 days. I was thinking that over the last 7 months I have grwon ALOT with Cap 1 especially going from $3000 to $10.650. On the other hand its just a 2% card and I could hold out for the Citi Double Cash WAY WAY down the line when I get better. 

What are your thoughts on my chances? BTW my utilization is about 2%. What other Travel like cards would you recommend. Help is appreciated! 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chance of Venture?

I would personaly wait until your freedom hits the 6 month mark. Unless you REALLY need the ventrue at this moment. Are you getting any prequals? I cold apped and got apporved with a very thin file, but my scores were around the 720s when I applied. 

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Freedom is  7 months and no I do not get a pre-qual on the website. I do not need the card, just nice to have. Just looking for opnions! Thanks!

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh that makes sense! If it were me id just wait for your scores to get above 690 across the board and then I would pull the trigger. Congrats on your rebuild though! 

Message 4 of 9
Nova5041
Frequent Contributor

When I got my venture card, my score was alittle lower than yours, but I did have prior history just like you. Capital one seems to recognize history when applying for there cards, so I would say you have a excellent chance. Before I got my venture card, my highest capital one card was 2k, and you have 10k with them. So I say go for it!!!

BK 7 Discharged: 5/30/2018
Fico Scores after Discharge: Experian-552 TransUnion- 490 Equifax- 571
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would personally wait.  

Also, hop on their pre-qual site and see if you are pre-approved/qualified.  I think CAP 1's pre-qual site is pretty accurate.  

They also have a section of what they define as excellent credit.  See if you match up to what they are stating is excellent credit.

I was hesistant last year before I applied.  I hopped on their pre-qual site and put my information in and the site said I was pre-qualified.  I applied and was instantly approved.  It is the best credit card I have in my wallet.  

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I may just wait Nova5041 another month. I churn about $2500-3000 out a month and pay in full on my QS1 I saw your profile and was like ther is hope Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 9
My_Fako
Established Contributor

I was just denied... too many recent ex inq's was my 3rd app of a mini spree.... My scores were a little higher than what my sig shows at time of app...

Amex PRG NPSL I Chase Marriott $10k I Venture $15.3k I Amex BCE $10K I PNC 13K I Chase IHG $8.6k l Amazon $6k l Chase Hyatt 20k l US Bank Cash+ $13K I Barclays $12.6k I Venture $13k l Discover it $4.6k l Express Next $3.1k l Amex EverDay $15K l Cabelas 1k I Wayfair $17.1k I Walmart $8k l SG $9.8k l Target $3.6K I PP 2K l AU Shell Gas $900 opened in 1974 l Ex 704 Tu 698 Eq 667

Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@My_Fako wrote:

I was just denied... too many recent ex inq's was my 3rd app of a mini spree.... My scores were a little higher than what my sig shows at time of app...

Thanks for the information. Were you succesful with other cards?

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.