Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chances for AMEX gold delta?

tag
Butter41
Established Member

Chances for AMEX gold delta?

I've been wanting to app for this for awhile.

I've got 3 hard inquiries in the last year, 2 are coming off in May. I need to take a trip this summer and thought I could start earning miles.

AMEX charge card member since 2005. TU is 680 and EQ is 675. Income is about 24K

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
colindidit
Established Contributor

Re: Chances for AMEX gold delta?

I'd wait til may to liken your chances
Wallet: Barclay-5k, Citadel MC- 5k, Slate- 4k, Freedom- 3k, BOA- 3k, Citi- 2k, AMEXBCE- 2k and more...
Message 2 of 31
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 3 of 31
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

Since you have been an AMEX member for so long I'm positive you will get approved, I would app now just to get the 61 day CLI that much sooner, especially if you are going to be traveling soon.

Even if you are by some chance declined it won't affect your credit score since you are a current card member, Just make sure you are loged in when applying!

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 4 of 31
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

LOL, I wish I only had 3 inquiries. Unless you have high balances, I think you will be approved. From the low scores, it looks like there may be some negatives?

Message 5 of 31
VegasKyle
Regular Contributor

I say go for it!

I just got the same card yesterday.  

Here is a little history so you can see how, if at all my credit worthiness may be similar to you (In the eyes of AMEX at least):

I found this site 3 years ago when I was interested in re-habing my credit.  Most of my collections and chargeoffs were quite old, I paid for delete the ones I could and let the others drop off.  On 1/31 I applied for a Wells Fargo Visa card and was approved with a limit of $1500.  I haven't had any lines of credit in years, the only thing on my Experian report was a closed cc account from 2002 (turn's out this helps because it raises my AAoA, TU and EQ don't show this account and my score is lower).  At the time I applied for the Visa 1/31 Experian wasn't even generating a score for me but there was nothing bad on my report. 

I had originally applied for the AMEX Green Charge card on 2/1 and was declined. The reason given:

"We have been unable to obtain your consumer credit bureau score from the agency (ies) identified below."

"No undisputed tradelines exist with a status date or a balance within the last 6 months.  (Experian)"

I then signed up for Experians "credit watch" or whatever they call their pay per month membership.  I got an "alert" from them after my WF account posted for the first time, so I logged into their site and generated a report.  It was now reporting a "Fako" score of 765 for me.  I then called AMEX and gave them the "tracking number" that was associated wit the denial I had received on 2/1.  I was connected to as CS rep and basically explained that Experian now was reporting a tradeline and score.  I asked if I could reapply or have them take another look at my application now that my circumstances had changed.  I also asked if it was wise given I had initially applied only 5 weeks earlier, he assured me that it wouldn't have a negative impact on their decision.  So after answering some basic questions, identity related, income, if I had a checking/savings/retirement account, and then calling my bank to verify my address I was approved over the phone for the Green Charge Card.

I then asked if I could apply for a credit card.  I was concerned that having just got the charge card I would have to wait some predetermined amount of time before getting a second line of credit with them.  The CS rep then told me it would not be viewed negatively, and could only help my chances seeing as he was able to approve the charge card on the spot.  After he read through the terms of the card I was approved again instantly.  I was only given a CL of $1000 but the CS rep told me it was a result of being a new customer and lack of existing credit history.  He also encouraged me to apply for an increase after 60 days. 

So long story short, I got approved!

TU 672, EQ 675, EX "fako" 765

3-4 Hard inq, Income ~35k

AAoA for TU and EQ 2mo, EX 5y6mo

Seeing as you are a charge card member already as long as you have always been in good standing with them I'd bet you get approved. 

Starting Score: EQ 599, TU 577
Current Score: EQ 703 9/20/14(HI 741 on 5/13), TU 690 10/1/14 (HI 751 on 5/13), EX 700 10/1/14
Goal Score: 750+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 31
Butter41
Established Member

some paid charge offs from 5 years ago. 9% utilization and no missed payments on anything for over 4 years.

Message 7 of 31
teddybearkelli1
Contributor

I believe you will be just fine. I just applied and was approved for their Delta card last week myself. I had 19 hard inquiries in the last year. (most from the last 4 months) I just went on a major app spree between Oct and Feb, opened 11 new accounts and closed 7 sub prime cards (or cards with high interest and fees). I was instantly approved for 9.9k with no questions. My overall util is around 15%.

FICO scores: 790 (EQ) 786 (EX) 796 (TU) |
My Wallet:NFCU CR Visa 24k, AMEX Delta Gd 18k, Walmart Discvr 12k, USAA Plat RA MC 13k, BECU Visa 13k, NFCU NR MC 10k, Sams Discvr 10k, Sportsmans Visa 11.5k, WF Plat Visa 10k, Paypal Extra MC 10k, BofA Fraternity MC 14k, Sams Credit 10k, USAA World MC 9k, Military Star 8.2k |BOA CR 8k |AMEX Evrdy 8k |Lowes 7.3k | Chase Military Star MC 16k, JCPenneys MC 7k, Discover IT 5k , Gymboree Visa 4.5k, Sears MC 4k, TJX MC 3.5k, ToysRUS MC 5k, Chase Amazon Visa 3k, Home Depot 3k, Citibank Simplicity 6.5k, Fred Meyers Visa 2.5k, Target 2k, Kohls 2k, ITunes Visa 5k, Macys 2k, Vystar CU Visa 5k
Message 8 of 31
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@Butter41 wrote:

I've got 3 hard inquiries in the last year, 2 are coming off in May. I need to take a trip this summer and thought I could start earning miles.

AMEX charge card member since 2005. TU is 680 and EQ is 675. Income is about 24K

You'll likely get some sort of bump in scores if you wait til May for those INQ to fall off.  Every little bit helps, and this would be a benefit to you.

Message 9 of 31
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@thom02099 wrote:

@Butter41 wrote:

You'll likely get some sort of bump in scores if you wait til May for those INQ to fall off.  Every little bit helps, and this would be a benefit to you.

Either way it's not going to matter, he has a 8 year history with AMEX, unless there has been some major derog in the last couple of years there is 0 chance he is declined for this card.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.