Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chances for Amex Retention offer

tag
redpat
Senior Contributor

Chances for Amex Retention offer

My Amex Plat AF is coming up and I'm wondering the success for retention offers?

I will have put between $20k - $25k through the plat.  

I have put another $30k - 35K through EDP, will that help? That extra 50% bonus really adds up.

A lot of my business reimbursements went through Amex.

Is asking for 20k - 25k MR be unreasonable?  Or could I get more?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Chances for Amex Retention offer

While I have no idea what makes up their computer algorithms for bonuses, From my experience, your expenditures on "other" cards either are not a factor, or a very minor one.

I've been offered a bonus of 50MRs for spending $3K, but not every year.  It's more like every other year.  I have a business parther who actually spend quite a bit more on hers, but was only offered 20K bonus.  Not sure if this matter, but while I requested a PC to the Bus Green to trigger the retention offer, my Bus partner threatened to cancel the card.

Good luck!

Message 2 of 11
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

While I have no idea what makes up their computer algorithms for bonuses, From my experience, your expenditures on "other" cards either are not a factor, or a very minor one.

I've been offered a bonus of 50MRs for spending $3K, but not every year.  It's more like every other year.  I have a business parther who actually spend quite a bit more on hers, but was only offered 20K bonus.  Not sure if this matter, but while I requested a PC to the Bus Green to trigger the retention offer, my Bus partner threatened to cancel the card.

Good luck!

Thanks.  

Maybe I'll tell them I was looking at the Prestige and their benefits to push them along, who knows.  The problem is that since I have the Ink+now my business expenses are going on that card and my spend on plat will go down one half next year.

Thanks also on EDP spend, I won't mention that on trying to get a retention offer.  I'm going to keep the card though, so my bluff of cancelling could be called, lol.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 3 of 11
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

I'll tell you my own experience with retention offers for my personal Platinum

2014 - 50K pts, ran close to 70-80K

2015 - 25K, ran close to 60-70K

2016 ( called them last month ) - 40K, ran over 100K.

PS: You can't really ask for a specific MR amount, it's what the computer spits out.

Message 4 of 11
redpat
Senior Contributor

@ibmrad7 wrote:

Looks like 50k and above mybe the magic number.  I'll try anyway, nothing to lose and see if I can get anything.

Message 5 of 11
Open123
Super Contributor

@redpat wrote:

@ibmrad7 wrote:

Looks like 50k and above mybe the magic number.  I'll try anyway, nothing to lose and see if I can get anything.

Or, you could try this. 

This worked a couple of years ago, but not sure if it still will.  During the off year I wasn't offered a bonus, the Analyst hinted that I could PC the card to a Bus Green to receive a 5K bonus, then PC again to the Bus Plat for a 50K bonus.  This not only worked, but as an added bonus, I even triggered another 10K MR for the POT feature.

Message 6 of 11
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@redpat wrote:

@ibmrad7 wrote:

Or, you could try this. 

This worked a couple of years ago, but not sure if it still will.  During the off year I wasn't offered a bonus, the Analyst hinted that I could PC the card to a Bus Green to receive a 5K bonus, then PC again to the Bus Plat for a 50K bonus.  This not only worked, but as an added bonus, I even triggered another 10K MR for the POT feature.

They added POT automatically no MR.  I didn't remeber to call and cancel and I was too late.

I use the benefits a lot and I read info about retention offers and thought I might get one, I guess I will see soon enough.

Message 7 of 11
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

Google: "amex retention offers flyertalk".

Tons of recent posts on that link.

Message 8 of 11
redpat
Senior Contributor

@ibmrad7 wrote:

Google: "amex retention offers flyertalk".

Tons of recent posts on that link.

Thanks, will do.

Message 9 of 11
red259
Super Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@redpat wrote:

@ibmrad7 wrote:

Or, you could try this. 

The card you started this with was it the personal plat? I was going to pick up the amex business plat down the line after getting rid of my personal plat, but I was going to wait for a 75-100k signup offer. Was the 50k offer just for switching or did you have to meet a spend requirement on it? Since I have the prestige card I don't necessarily have a huge use for amex plat and therefore the signup offers are the best part of it 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.