cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chances for Citi Hilton with recent inquiries?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chances for Citi Hilton with recent inquiries?

I know citi is inquiry sensitive. I have 8 inquiries on EQ in the past 6 months and probably 6 new accounts. I have a DC with them and have for two years. My score on EQ is 687 and will rise once some balances report for March down to 0. Is it worth the HP?
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
ridgebackpilot
Established Contributor

Re: Chances for Citi Hilton with recent inquiries?

Citi must be inquiry sensitive. I got denied today (after calling) for the Citi Hilton HHonors VISA card even though I was approved for two Chase cards on the same day. Go figure!

I suspect my Chase approvals were due to the fact that I have a pretty deep relationship with them, including a checking account and several credit cards. Not so with Citi; I just have the AAdvantage Platinum Mastercard. Of course, YMMV!

Message 2 of 11
someg33k
Established Contributor

Last month they denied me for the same card - reason given inquiries. I called to recon and shot down for same reason.

I then called EO and got it manually reviewed. Spoke to some wonderful people at CITI. But in the end, the manual review came back denied for same reason.

I have nothing but good to say about my experience with CITI (except that I was denied Smiley Tongue

The CA told me less than 6 in 6 months and I should be good if I try again this summer.

Message 3 of 11
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@ridgebackpilot wrote:

Citi must be inquiry sensitive. I got denied today (after calling) for the Citi Hilton HHonors VISA card even though I was approved for two Chase cards on the same day. Go figure!

I suspect my Chase approvals were due to the fact that I have a pretty deep relationship with them, including a checking account and several credit cards. Not so with Citi; I just have the AAdvantage Platinum Mastercard. Of course, YMMV!

I recently got approved for the Citi AA Plat and Citi Hilton with 25 INQ's on my EQ which is what Citi pulls on me every time.

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've heard many say they've been declined only reason cited inquiries and others say they skated through with inquiries. I guess it's a bit of a crap shoot. Eh, it's one inquiry. I guess I will wait until the last day and app and cross my fingers.

Message 5 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I've heard many say they've been declined only reason cited inquiries and others say they skated through with inquiries. I guess it's a bit of a crap shoot. Eh, it's one inquiry. I guess I will wait until the last day and app and cross my fingers.

I had several inquiries and new accounts reporting when I applied for the AAdvantage cards (similar in context to HHonors), and the "inquiries only" can be listed as the top reason but there could be other reasons that did not meet Citi's criteria based on their algorithms (all things considered).   That being said, I was approved for 2 AAdvantage cards in roughly ~60 days appart, but my overall profile is very thick and fairly established for over 2 decades.  So, the above poster stating they were approved with 25 inquiries does not mean everyone with an extensive number of inquires (or new accounts) will be approved.  As we all know, every profile is different so YEMV.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

and citi is very picky on payment history. if you have lates within 2 years you may as well forget it. they like pretty clean files.
Message 7 of 11
Saleen099
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
and citi is very picky on payment history. if you have lates within 2 years you may as well forget it. they like pretty clean files.

+1.  Absolutely correct don't even apply if you have lates. 

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you end up applying? I only asked because i recently was approved for this card last week. This is my first Citi card and my EQ is 658 on fico (but they reported back saying my EQ is 669 at the time approval) and I have 8 INQ as well. Not to mention I cold app and did not do a pre-qual on their website. You may get approved because you already have built a relationship with them. 

Message 9 of 11
msbia
Established Contributor

Citi is a weird one. I have been blacklisted for years off of an old Sears account that fell off my reports long ago. They let me in with HD and Macy's but I closed HD more than a year ago. I've applied for DC -denied, AA -denied. I was sitting at home a couple of weeks ago and did their prequal - goose egg. Was bored and decided to app the Hhilton anyway. Instant approval for $10k. More than 25 inquiries on EX (708), which they pulled. Had two new accounts within the last two weeks, probably...hmmm...13 news ones in the year prior. So yeah...Citibank randomness. Oh, I didn't get the highest APR either. Just strange. 

Personal Credit? Check. Business Credit? Check.
Mission Accomplished.
Thanks MyFico!
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.