Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chances of approval, advice for first card

tag
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Chances of approval, advice for first card

@Anonymous wrote:

Some banks use AU accounts in their decisions, some don't. 

is the 30k income you're claiming from a job, or scholarships, or what? Just be aware you can't claim student loans as income. 

You said you got a 771 from a denial letter, what card did you apply for and how long ago was it? 

I'd try for a student credit card first. BoA offers a student travel, and cash rewards card. Discover offers a student version of the IT card, citi has a thankyou preferred card for students as well, though their rewards are lackluster. 

Be aware that just because your score came back as a 771, that doesn't mean you're a shoo in for the best cards on earth. Your report is most likely empty except for that AU account. 

Income is in an acceptable form that the company will take. Applied for Capital One Journey in mid-August

Do you have a banking relationship with anyone? Wells fargo seems to be good about giving their student card to their customers. I opened a college checking/savings account with them and the rep asked me if I wanted their card and I said yes, and got it like a week later. I never even filled out an application. 

Message 11 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have a banking relationship with anyone? Wells fargo seems to be good about giving their student card to their customers. I opened a college checking/savings account with them and the rep asked me if I wanted their card and I said yes, and got it like a week later. I never even filled out an application. 

I have accounts with a credit union (will be leaving as I have moved) and USAA.

Message 12 of 75
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have accounts with a credit union (will be leaving as I have moved) and USAA.

A credit union is probably the first place I would go if you have accounts with them. I'm not sure how USAA is with issuing someones first credit card. You could always apply for their secured credit card if you got some cash to throw down. Im surprised you were denied for the cap1 journey card. What reasons did they list in your denial letter, if you remember/still have it. 

Message 13 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jsucool76 wrote:
Im surprised you were denied for the cap1 journey card. What reasons did they list in your denial letter, if you remember/still have it. 

I was surprised at this as well.

Usually they don't even require a pulse for that card.

Message 14 of 75
grinlikechelsea
Established Contributor

I would recommend either Discover for Students or a secured BoA card (make sure to add the 3-2-1 rewards; then its one of the best secured cards on the market).

Message 15 of 75
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:
Im surprised you were denied for the cap1 journey card. What reasons did they list in your denial letter, if you remember/still have it. 

I was surprised at this as well.

Usually they don't even require a pulse for that card.

Yeah, they send my fish pre-approvals for the journey card all the time. Wonder if OP has any weird errors on reports. 

Message 16 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jsucool76 wrote:
A credit union is probably the first place I would go if you have accounts with them. I'm not how USAA is with issuing someones first credit card. You could always apply for their secured credit card if you got some cash to throw down. Im surprised you were denied for the cap1 journey card. What reasons did they list in your denial letter, if you remember/still have it. 

Was denied because I did not have enough past income documents to prove the income I put on the form, but I do now.

Message 17 of 75
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

A credit union is probably the first place I would go if you have accounts with them. I'm not how USAA is with issuing someones first credit card. You could always apply for their secured credit card if you got some cash to throw down. Im surprised you were denied for the cap1 journey card. What reasons did they list in your denial letter, if you remember/still have it. 

Was denied because I did not have enough past income documents to prove the income I put on the form, but I do now.

Oh, if you have the proof of income now, I'd say give it another shot. Maybe even hit up the EO and see if they can use the same application so you dont need to take another 3 HPs for the card. You can google "capital one ceo email address" and shoot them an email and see if they'll let you use the same application. Alternatively, you can message them on facebook or twitter. 

Message 18 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

Oh, if you have the proof of income now, I'd say give it another shot. Maybe even hit up the EO and see if they can use the same application so you dont need to take another 3 HPs for the card. You can google "capital one ceo email address" and shoot them an email and see if they'll let you use the same application. Alternatively, you can message them on facebook or twitter. 

Capital One told me that after the decision is made, they can't promise that if I ask them to review the application again they won't pull more reports.

Message 19 of 75
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

Capital One told me that after the decision is made, they can't promise that if I ask them to review the application again they won't pull more reports.

Well capital one isn't exactly inq sensitive, so I would maybe try for the discover it for students card, and then maybe a BoA student card, and if you dont have luck with those just app for capital one again. 

Message 20 of 75
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.