Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chances of approval, advice for first card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chances of approval, advice for first card

Bank of America may be possible (they were my first card but I had loans to establish credit) for a student card since you have income and if they ask for a guarantor?, you can use your parents
Message 51 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:
Chase takes no factor of AU accounts when the look at the reports.    the Mileage plus , CSP and Marriott all have 15.99% APR for everyboy but I don't see how a 18 year old with no history of his own can get the lowest APR% though it could be the 771 score which how you know it's real? I don't believe Capital one even offers a FICO score with their denial letters since they said mine was 677 or something then gave me something that says the score range is like 400- 950 or something different then a FICO range. 

Perhaps a better example would be the 12.99% on the Slate, which ranges to 22.99%. Also got lowest (13.99%) on Freedom which ranges to 22.99% as well. Letter says range is 300-850 and source is Equifax. I don't think they would put anything but FICO on denial when they say that's the score they used to make their decision. (Wasn't denied for score, though)

I always get some werid number crap with my approvals or denials.  Chase gave me some 677 internal score of theirs when i got approved. Citi gave me a 677 EQ score , Amex gave me my EX and some other gave me FICO but some others gave me their internal scores.  They usually say the Source but have to read what kind. Chase i forgot what it was but it's source was EX and then said some other score then just "Credit Score" . 

Got denied for some cominity card and my score was like 966 out of a max of 999 lol

Also a 18 year old getting a 13.99% APR with no prior history? 

Does anyone know whether Chase uses AUs for pre-qualification? That's the only thing on my report, so maybe they do. Is everyone sure they don't consider them at all for approval?

They don't use them. 

But chase Pre-qualified site is pretty solid so if they say you have it then i would go for it.

By the way what is your Name? Is it an unusal name or really common one? Maybe the Credit reports are mixed up with somebody else which could be why your getting them? I would check that out eventually 

My last name is very uncommon, so that is highly unlikely. Nothing on my credit report but the AU. Could I be getting a boost for being at the same address as my parents? Different first name, so I don't see how.

Message 52 of 75
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:
Chase takes no factor of AU accounts when the look at the reports.    the Mileage plus , CSP and Marriott all have 15.99% APR for everyboy but I don't see how a 18 year old with no history of his own can get the lowest APR% though it could be the 771 score which how you know it's real? I don't believe Capital one even offers a FICO score with their denial letters since they said mine was 677 or something then gave me something that says the score range is like 400- 950 or something different then a FICO range. 

Perhaps a better example would be the 12.99% on the Slate, which ranges to 22.99%. Also got lowest (13.99%) on Freedom which ranges to 22.99% as well. Letter says range is 300-850 and source is Equifax. I don't think they would put anything but FICO on denial when they say that's the score they used to make their decision. (Wasn't denied for score, though)

I always get some werid number crap with my approvals or denials.  Chase gave me some 677 internal score of theirs when i got approved. Citi gave me a 677 EQ score , Amex gave me my EX and some other gave me FICO but some others gave me their internal scores.  They usually say the Source but have to read what kind. Chase i forgot what it was but it's source was EX and then said some other score then just "Credit Score" . 

Got denied for some cominity card and my score was like 966 out of a max of 999 lol

Also a 18 year old getting a 13.99% APR with no prior history? 

Does anyone know whether Chase uses AUs for pre-qualification? That's the only thing on my report, so maybe they do. Is everyone sure they don't consider them at all for approval?

They don't use them. 

But chase Pre-qualified site is pretty solid so if they say you have it then i would go for it.

By the way what is your Name? Is it an unusal name or really common one? Maybe the Credit reports are mixed up with somebody else which could be why your getting them? I would check that out eventually 

My last name is very uncommon, so that is highly unlikely. Nothing on my credit report but the AU. Could I be getting a boost for being at the same address as my parents? Different first name, so I don't see how.

You wouldn't be because of Address though maybe there is somebody else with your same last name and first or close to it in the same area as you? Sounds really slim but maybe  it could happen.   I don't see how you would be approved with the lowest rates at 18 with no history except for AU . 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 53 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Closingracer99 wrote:

You wouldn't be because of Address though maybe there is somebody else with your same last name and first or close to it in the same area as you? Sounds really slim but maybe  it could happen.   I don't see how you would be approved with the lowest rates at 18 with no history except for AU . 

Not approved yet, but I plan on applying later and I will update. My father is the only person with the same last name in the state, so I don't think it's that.

Message 54 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@gh17 wrote:

I'd aim higher than secured cards but lower than most of the best rewards cards.  Discover It or a student card or a card through whoever you bank with, probably.  After you get your first card and hang onto it for 6 months or a year, you'll easily be able to get plenty more of the best rewards cards.

Even though you've got a high score, your credit history is essentially blank, so you can't expect to get all the "excellent credit" cards just yet.

I'm considering the USAA College Platinum MasterCard, but I still really want a better card. Surely people with no credit of their own have gotten the Freedom?

Chase doesn't consider AU accounts when making a decision. Honestly, I would just go for the discover it for students, or maybe a BoA cash rewards for college students. Best chances of approval and they're major banks. 

Know anything about the Citi ThankYou Preferred for College Students?

I just did the app for my sister for this card. Just had to input her school information and then do an online chat with a CSR and in 5 minutes she was approved. She is only 19 with 1 other credit card - WF Student Visa for about 6 months.

Message 55 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone know if instant approval is possible when 18? Are companies required to verify income with documents on those under 21?

Message 56 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Anyone know if instant approval is possible when 18? Are companies required to verify income with documents on those under 21?

In the long run, does it really matter if the approval is instant or if you have to prove yourself? Proving yourself is very easy so long as you tell the truth on your applications. You seem too worried about that and getting a huge credit line. Chances are your CL will be lower since this is your first card.YMMV. 

Message 57 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

In the long run, does it really matter if the approval is instant or if you have to prove yourself? Proving yourself is very easy so long as you tell the truth on your applications. You seem too worried about that and getting a huge credit line. Chances are your CL will be lower since this is your first card.YMMV. 

Was just wondering based on my past application, when I had to send documents. I prefer not to send sensitive documents over public fax machines.

Message 58 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Was just wondering based on my past application, when I had to send documents. I prefer not to send sensitive documents over public fax machines.

As far as I know you can mail them as well.

Message 59 of 75
1GaDawg85
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

it is possible....

FICO 5 ,4, 2 - 10/2023                            FICO 8 - 10/2023                                   FICO 9 - 10/2023                                   FICO 10 - 10/2023

Message 60 of 75
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.