Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chances of approval for Barclays' CC

tag
ficojoe
Frequent Contributor

Chances of approval for Barclays' CC

I believe Barclays pulls TU for me. On October 3, 2012, my TU FICO (per wal-mart) was 679. Since that time my TU report has improved by (a) deleting a collection account and (b) going from about 10 inquiries to 1. So, I expect my score has improved because of these positive changes. FAKO scores improved about 30 points because of these changes, if FICO does the same - I'll be in the low 700s for TU FICO now.

I was denied for Barclays about 2 months ago, but my credit has improved since then.

Here are my TU stats accounding to smartcredit:

Creditors: 20
Collections: 0
Public Records: 0
Total Inquiries: 1
Accounts in good standing: 20
Total negative items: 0
Total Items: 21

Real estate debt (mortgages): $0
Revolving debt (bank and retail cards): $371
Installment loan payments: $29,676
Other debt: $0
Your approximate total debt: $30,839
% of credit available: 96%

Here are reasons I think denial is possible:

1) Average age of accounts. I opened 7 new accounts around July of this year (walmart, amazon, capital one, 2x nfcu credit cards, 1x nfcu line of credit, kay jewlers credit card).

2) Although my transunion report shows only 1 inquiriy, if they check ICS also, I have 26 inquiries in the last 4 months on that report.

My TU report does have 7 negative items on it (although for some reason smart credit doesn't see them as negative):

1-6) six different accounts (with the same lender - student loans) have 9 months in a row of late payments, 90 day, 120 day, 150 day... These late payments were from April 2006 through January 2007. These accounts now report as closed with a $0 balance and current pay status.

7) one 30 day late in December 2005 on a mortgage account. This account also reports as closed with a $0 balance and current pay status.

Everything else is positive history execept the above items.

I am interested in either the Priceline Rewards Visa or the Choice Privileges Visa Signature.

Should I apply? Odds of approval?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
wallyworld123
Frequent Contributor

Re: Chances of approval for Barclays' CC

I would wait you have some nice cards in your collection especially 2 nfcu cards.

Message 2 of 9
ficojoe
Frequent Contributor

NFCU and I did not get along. I've requested that they close all my accounts and send me a check for my balance. I'd like to replace the NFCU cards with something equal (i.e., $5k+ limit).

@wallyworld123 wrote:

I would wait you have some nice cards in your collection especially 2 nfcu cards.

Message 3 of 9
firstladyd
Contributor

Barclay's is so funny. I have only 1 inquiry on my TU and they said in the denial letter too many inquiries. I am also wondering what it takes to get in with them. I think maybe my 2 accounts at 35% utilization got my app nixed. 0% interest can be evil. ;-)

Starting Score: 585
Current Score: TU 734 Walmart EQ 704 FICO EX 721
Goal Score: 750 Across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 9
ItchyAppFingers
New Contributor

I was denied for too many inquiries and some small balances reporting on my cc's. The rep wouldn't recon with me due to those factors so you may get denied due too the amount of inquiries. Barclays tend to be inquiries sensitive as well as new accounts sensitive. :/
My Current Plastic: {Amazon Store Card} {Amazon Visa} {Amex Zync} {Amex Gold PRG} {Amex BCE} {Bloomingdales} {BOA 123 Cash Rewards} {Capital One Platinum Visa} {Chase Freedom Visa} {Discover IT} {Kohls} {Macy's} {Nordstrom} {SonyCard Visa} {Target RedCard}
Message 5 of 9
ficojoe
Frequent Contributor

@ItchyAppFingers wrote:
I was denied for too many inquiries and some small balances reporting on my cc's. The rep wouldn't recon with me due to those factors so you may get denied due too the amount of inquiries. Barclays tend to be inquiries sensitive as well as new accounts sensitive. :/

If they only check TU, then I should be in good shape because I have only 1 inquiry with them. Anyone know if they consider other CRAs for inquiries such as ICS? I just happen to have a nice discrepency between the number of inquiries TU is reporting and actual inquiries.

Message 6 of 9
Hightechredneck
Frequent Contributor

Last month Barclays denied me an NFL card, This month I re-apped and got a $1000 CL, my score did not change. Funny

Message 7 of 9
ficojoe
Frequent Contributor

I got the itch, so I scratched. We'll see:

Thank you for applying. We'll need more time to review the information you provided for your Choice Privileges® Visa® Signature Card Application.

There is no need to reapply and it may take up to 10 days to process your application. We will send you an email upon review of your application. You can also visit our website to check the status at: www.myapplicationstatus.com/barclays.

Click HOME to return to Barclays' Homepage.

Message 8 of 9
firstladyd
Contributor

Good luck

Starting Score: 585
Current Score: TU 734 Walmart EQ 704 FICO EX 721
Goal Score: 750 Across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.