Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chances of getting Citi AA as a college student

tag
ebaniaga
Established Member

Chances of getting Citi AA as a college student

I was wondering what my chances were in approval for the Citi AA Plat Select Card (with the bonus of 35,000 miles).  I am a student with a 5000k income and FICO scores of TU - 750 and EQ - 677.  I anticipate my scores should increase a little as I hit August, when I will apply for the card, because I will have a longer history and less inquiries.  I currently have 4 student loans and my longest account will be a 1year1mo (a Discover Student CC with a $500 CL).  I believe that by the time I apply for the card, the Discover Student CC should be reporting a higher CL as I will have requested it in July.

It looks like a pretty hard card to get, but seeing as I fly AA to get to and from school, I'd go for it.  Would I have better chances with the CitiForward or the Amex Zync?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
smc733
Valued Contributor

Re: Chances of getting Citi AA as a college student

You almost definitely won't get it.  For them to give you those bonus miles, they have to expect you to spend a certain amount on the card, and a $5k student salary isn't going to cut it.  College students today are pretty much limited to two types of cards

1.  Those specifically designated for students.

2.  Those designed for people looking to build or rebuild credit.

I'm a student with a $15k income, and a student loan at 9 months.  After 3 months of a BofA secured card, I got the Citi Forward card with a $1,200 limit.  I would recommend following my same pattern, go for the Forward Card.  You won't get approved for Zync unless you have a revolving balance, hell, I have three accounts on my CR, and they denied me purely because my history was too short.  So I plan on going for the Zync again in late November or early December.

So anyway, my recommendation is:

-Citi Forward now, and if approved,

-Zync in 6-8 months, the closer to 8, the better.  

Two credit cards, a generic Visa/MasterCard and an Amex Charge to establish a relationship with them is plenty for a college student.  A third card, Discover Student Card may not be a terrible idea to also build a relationship with them.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 2 of 5
ebaniaga
Established Member

Well I have a revolving balance, I double checked and I have the Discover More Card, NOT the Discover Student CC, and this card is about to hit 1 year.  Should I just got for the zync card since I already have history?

Message 3 of 5
smc733
Valued Contributor

Wow, my bad, I completely missed the fact that you said you had that.

You might be able to get the Zync with that, though if you get the Forward now, THEN go for Zync in 6 months, you'll be almost a shoe in for the Zync then.  That way is less risky, as there's a chance you could still get a Zync denial (small chance).

It depends on what you want more?  A CC that is accepted widely (Visa), or do you just want to skip right ahead to Amex?  I think your odds of the Forward card are impeccable, and Zync are very strong.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

After what happened tonight to my Bestie who is in med school with me too, getting her Charge always on time AAoA being 5-6 years!! only has had that card, parents added her when she was really young, also very affluent and put mortgages, LOC, etc and they closed it!!!! She applied for the Citi PremierPass and got APPROVED! dont know her scores but  i was instant, it just prompted her to set up online access......so ya though it is of course you who will decide I am deff not going to do business with them, so i say a Citicard, The Platinum Select seems good, and the Citiforward. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.