Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Visa to Mastercard

tag
hardworkrebuilding
Regular Contributor

Change Visa to Mastercard

I have no Mastercard, only Visa's, Amex, and Discover.  I've been gardening and find there is a constant temptation to app because I have a "legitimate" reason, I need a Mastercard. So, I decided I might protect myself from myself.  I called Chase up as I have 2 Visa's and a Visa Siggy through them.  I explained to the CSR (excellent service and attitude) my plight.  I told her I would like to make my Freedom a Mastercard but I didn't want it to show as a new account on my credit report.  She explained the account number would change, but it would not be a new tradeline and retain the same opened date.  She seemed sure of her knowledge and even corrected my when I referred to this as a PC (still same product, Freedom, just different network).  So I was just hoping someone could confirm this.  I don't want to take the hit for a  new account without actually getting an additional account.  Although, now I guess it would be too late.

FICO 750+ on each CRA - 6 cards for a total CL of $222,900
Gardening since 9/11/2016 for a goal of 2 years
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Cory
Established Contributor

Re: Change Visa to Mastercard

Yes, I can confirm that when you are changing from Freedom Visa, to Freedom MasterCard, the account number changes, but the open date remains the same. As the REP mentioned, just going from network to network. This didn't show as a new account on my credit reports, and didn't change anything with my score.

You'll be fine.

Happy New Year!

Cory

Message 2 of 3
hardworkrebuilding
Regular Contributor

Re: Change Visa to Mastercard

@Cory wrote:

Yes, I can confirm that when you are changing from Freedom Visa, to Freedom MasterCard, the account number changes, but the open date remains the same. As the REP mentioned, just going from network to network. This didn't show as a new account on my credit reports, and didn't change anything with my score.

You'll be fine.

Happy New Year!

Cory

Thanks, Cory.  Like I said, the rep seemed to know exactly what she was talking about.  You just seem to hear stories about CSR's not fully understanding some of  the requests they handle. I just needed some one to confirm this was handled as described for them. Thanks, again. And happy New Year to you, also.

FICO 750+ on each CRA - 6 cards for a total CL of $222,900
Gardening since 9/11/2016 for a goal of 2 years
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.