Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change approach after score jump?

tag
mrcrisp023
Frequent Contributor

Change approach after score jump?

All 3 of my credit scores just jumped about 15-20 points (Now all 3 are between 712 and 722), I'm assuming just from continuing to make regular payments because I've been keeping my balance down under 10% for a while now.  I've been on here asking about whether to get a Barclay Reward Card or a QuickSilverONE because I only have secured cards now, but my scores are getting so much better that I'm thinking I can go for something better, such as the regular Quicksilver or maybe even the Venture, or even another good BK friendly card.  What do you think?  I have a BK-7 that discharged 12/2013 and two 5 yr old collections that only show on my TU, one is paid ($55 car insurance bill) and one is unpaid ($131 medical). 

Capital One SavorOne: $3000 / Bank of America Unlimited Cash Rewards Visa Signature: $500 / Mission Lane: $1500 / Merrick: $2000 / CreditOne Amex: $850

Starting 09/2022 MyFico 08: EQ 648 / TU 659 / EX 644
Current MyFico 08: EQ 665 / TU 670 / EX 670

2024 EOY Goal: 750
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Change approach after score jump?

Both Barclays and Cap1 are BK friendly, so thats a plus. Barclays want to see a MIN of 6 mo of history on another CC first in good standing before they will consider you.

Cap1 i got like 2 weeks post BK dc, and barclays was 8 months I think and it was the rewards card.

Check the prequal site on both, and report back here. If you see the message "congratulations, we've found the following" or something along those lines, but need "congrats"....its golden.

Message 2 of 3
mrcrisp023
Frequent Contributor

Re: Change approach after score jump?

Yea Barclay's has been sending me a pre-qual for their BarclayCard Rewards card for a few months.  I checked Capital One's pre-qual, but it didn't return with any results, only suggestions based on my profile.  I've had my secured Capital One for 11 months, util under 10% and got an increase after 6 months from $200 to $500.  I've had my secured First Premier for 9, almost 10 months, also kept under 10%, but they don't do CLI's.    I've been going back and forth about what cards I should apply for after my house closes in 2 weeks.  I thought I had it down, but now that my scores have jumped even more, I'm questioning myself all over again.

Capital One SavorOne: $3000 / Bank of America Unlimited Cash Rewards Visa Signature: $500 / Mission Lane: $1500 / Merrick: $2000 / CreditOne Amex: $850

Starting 09/2022 MyFico 08: EQ 648 / TU 659 / EX 644
Current MyFico 08: EQ 665 / TU 670 / EX 670

2024 EOY Goal: 750
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.