Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change coming in BCP rewards structure

tag
jason86423
Frequent Contributor

Change coming in BCP rewards structure

Just got notified in my October statement that Amex is changing the rewards structure on grocery store purchases for the Blue Cash Preferred. Will continue to accrue 6% through the first $6000 of yearly grocery store purchases and after that it will be 1%. Change is effective January 15, 2013

Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37
L-TWT
Established Contributor

Re: Change coming in BCP rewards structure

@jason86423 wrote:

Just got notified in my October statement that Amex is changing the rewards structure on grocery store purchases for the Blue Cash Preferred. Will continue to accrue 6% through the first $6000 of yearly grocery store purchases and after that it will be 1%. Change is effective January 15, 2013

Thx 4 the heads up, i guess after that date I shall be Canceling my card!Smiley Mad

Message 2 of 38
tray
Valued Contributor

Seems funny how Amex now is making sudden changes cutting back on this card rewards structure,  I wonder if behind the curtains it has anything to due with this company being SUED for millions of dollars well we wil see if any other changes occurs on other cards...

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 3 of 38
afjock21
Valued Member

6,000? I got no problem with that.. we're talking 500/month grocery bill for one dude, just me? Definitely not... However, This is definitely not something I will ignore as even though for me it's not a big deal for the family it sure as hell is... Something to watch!!!

Message 4 of 38
DeadSpider
Frequent Contributor

Well this just sux @$$ as I spend about $1000 on food a month grrrrr.

I havn't gotten my Oct statement yet so i can see the print myself.

I guess I'll be using my Discover and freedom on grocery months...

Message 5 of 38
scientifics
Frequent Contributor

I agree this is unfortunate, but it's probably because too many people were taking advantage of the 6% and buying excessive amounts of gift cards at 6% off!

Message 6 of 38
FrugalRican
Blogger

Ouch, that's a hard one to bite for families.

My advice... hopefully BCP card users have either a Freedom or a Discover card.

Use your BCP in non-grocery 5% months. Use Freedom/Discover/Other in months that they have 5%.

It's not 6% all year, but definitely helps soften the blow.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 7 of 38
flowfaster
Established Contributor

This is not what I wanted to wake up to!  I have a family of 4 so I definitely go over 6000 a year. 

That is a great idea about using freedom for that quarter. That's if Chase keeps the same categories.

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 8 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, I had no idea families ate so much.  I only buy groceries for myself, and I probably spend $100/month.  But I do tend to eat like an 8yo.

For those of you who find this a limiting factor, look at the US Bank Cash+ card.  You can choose groceries as one of your 5% CB categories every quarter, and if you redeem your CB in chunks of $100, you get $25 back, making it effectively 6.25%.

Message 9 of 38
shakalaka
Established Contributor

I guess it depends on yourself. I ate like two 20 year olds. Which fits, for I am a little over 40. Smiley Very Happy

And I have around 250/months. So you do the maths.

But, I love good food and I am willing to pay for it.

FICO (TU/EX/EQ): 773/766/778 - Total CL 255+K
Message 10 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.