Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change in Amex PRG

tag
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

Re: Change in Amex PRG

The excuse they gave for getting rid of it is pretty pathetic. If people can't spend 30k a year then, make a lower tier card for them....Oh that's right, they're already a lower tier card.

Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Fico Scores as of 2/21/15 - EX: total crap, TU: total crap, EQ: total crap
Message 11 of 73
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

For $175 a year, we might as well get lounge access for a "travel card" with FTF fees. I was looking forward to hitting the 30k spend next year.

Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Message 12 of 73
red259
Super Contributor

@Membersince2013 wrote:

The excuse they gave for getting rid of it is pretty pathetic. If people can't spend 30k a year then, make a lower tier card for them....Oh that's right, they're already a lower tier card.

Yes, their excuse of not enough people making the required spend for bonus as a reason for pulling the feature makes no sense. Why wouldn't you just lower the price point if that was the case? Why not just leave the benefit there as a selling point for the people who do make the spend? I think the PRG days are numbered after the release of the amex everyday preferred. Most people probably just use the card for the first year then cancel when AF hits. There just does not seem to be any place for the amex prg between the amex everyday and the amex plat. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 13 of 73
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@Membersince2013 wrote:

Yes, their excuse of not enough people making the required spend for bonus as a reason for pulling the feature makes no sense. Why wouldn't you just lower the price point if that was the case? Why not just leave the benefit there as a selling point for the people who do make the spend? I think the PRG days are numbered after the release of the amex everyday preferred. Most people probably just use the card for the first year then cancel when AF hits. There just does not seem to be any place for the amex prg between the amex everyday and the amex plat. 

Probably right with the everyday. Before it used to be plat for benefits, PRG for rewards. Now it's plat for benefits, and PRG for first year signup bonus, then everyday preferred after that. The PRG doesn't really offer anything special to make it worth the $175. Only thing it had going for it was the 15k bonus points. 

Message 14 of 73
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

If they don't introduce any improved benefits for thre PRG, I guess i'll be ditching the PRG and upgrading to a Plat next year. Then applying for an Everyday for everyday use.

Message 15 of 73
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Membersince2013 wrote:

If they don't introduce any improved benefits for thre PRG, I guess i'll be ditching the PRG and upgrading to a Plat next year. Then applying for an Everyday for everyday use.

I plan on ditching the PRG this year and apping for the ameriprise plat for both the signup bonus and waived AF, with a no AF ED card so I can keep my MR points safe Smiley Tongue 

Message 16 of 73
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Membersince2013 wrote:

I plan on ditching the PRG this year and apping for the ameriprise plat for both the signup bonus and waived AF, with a no AF ED card so I can keep my MR points safe Smiley Tongue 

Yup! Thats the same Plat i'll be apping for again. I'm not sure if you'll get the sign up bonus, seeing that theyre both charge cards.

Message 17 of 73
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Membersince2013 wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Membersince2013 wrote:

Yup! Thats the same Plat i'll be apping for again. I'm not sure if you'll get the sign up bonus, seeing that theyre both charge cards.

Doesn't look like they have the signup bonus for ameriprise anymore =/ But oh well, I'll still take the airline credit, lounge access, and everything else sans annual fee for a year Smiley Tongue 

PRG will probably end up with concierge service or something dumb like that. 

Message 18 of 73
red259
Super Contributor

@Membersince2013 wrote:

The only way I would upgrade to the plat is if they waived the Af for the first year. Unfortunatly, I don't travel enough to offset the AF. For those that do the card can be worthwhile. The everday card will be my go to spend card on grocceries and non-cat spend. Currently non-cat spend goes on my SPG (although I'm letting it cool off after they denied me a CLI and having met the initial spend). The SPG card will likely be tossed next year as a result (if I stayed at their properties on a regular basis then my assessment would be very different). I may pick up the business version of the SPG when they have their higher bonus signup offers next year though. . .  

;
Message 19 of 73
red259
Super Contributor

@Membersince2013 wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Membersince2013 wrote:

I forget is there a certain amount of time you can wait without having an amex card to be able to obtain the signup bonus offer again (like two years)? 

;
Message 20 of 73
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.