Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change in Focus of this forum

tag
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Change in Focus of this forum

A long, long time ago when I first joined this forum there was a big focus on "controlling score and getting out of debt".  The focus seems to have shifted to "how can I get a double digit number of credit cards with crap scores, resulting in serious rather than fatal damage to my score?"

Smiley Very Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 1 of 55
54 REPLIES 54
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Change in Focus of this forum

C'mon Now, iTS Unnececelery To be Jellyous!Smiley Tongue
Message 2 of 55
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

We actually prefer people get 100+ cards.
Message 3 of 55
scoreupper
Established Member

I have to admit, I had a credit card that was WAMU that was sold to SST 5K 0% till March, 2007. I paid it like I should min payments till the DOOM day. DOOM day came and I paid it in full. I then had no use for it as another card of mine Providain was sold to SST also. I used one every other month or so.

Long story short, WAMU card (SST serv) closed my card due to inactivity one day before I has going to make a large purchase goto the store...declined I say WTF! Called while I was at the regester...was told had no other cards on me so left in shame. Came home loged in and found this form. 6 APPS l8tr I have 5 new cards....your right this is a bad place. all it takes is one moment of weakness and you have gone to far.

me
TU EQ EX 687 659 689 11/5/2007
700 669 689 12/7/2007
Message 4 of 55
fused
Moderator Emeritus

MidnightVoice wrote:
A long, long time ago when I first joined this forum there was a big focus on "controlling score and getting out of debt".  The focus seems to have shifted to "how can I get a double digit number of credit cards with crap scores, resulting in serious rather than fatal damage to my score?"

Smiley Very Happy

Seriously, I agree with you. I only app if I need credit and I will benefit from it. As you know, I apped for joint on my DWs Chase card to improve my scores, unfortunately that didn't happen. I think it's a bad idea to go overboard with apps, most of us should only need a few CCs to build a credit history or in the case of bad credit, dilute the negatives.

Message 5 of 55
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

fused111 wrote:

MidnightVoice wrote:

Smiley Very Happy

Seriously, I agree with you. I only app if I need credit and I will benefit from it. As you know, I apped for joint on my DWs Chase card to improve my scores, unfortunately that didn't happen. I think it's a bad idea to go overboard with apps, most of us should only need a few CCs to build a credit history or in the case of bad credit, dilute the negatives.

I was making a joke out of a semi-serious warning.  After problems with credit it way too easy to get carried away and get too many cards.  And then it is VERY easy to screw up a payment date and get a credit hit, and it also easy to loose track of how much is being spent.

My next big temptation will be when my 12 year old washer and dryer give up the ghost...............all those 0% financing offers on big purchases   Smiley Very Happy

I am covered for when the 12 year old car dies on me  Smiley Very Happy
Message 6 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

fused111 wrote:

MidnightVoice wrote:

Smiley Very Happy

I agree with you fused and MV. I am one of those who filled out a lot of apps as a result of this forum. But in my defense, my plan was to get rid of the pocketful of subprime AF, MMF, low CL, high APR cards that I had and replace them with at least another level up. Not necessarily prime, but certainly better. And of course, I was declined for some, making my INQs go up higher than I would have liked.

I heard all the arguments about not closing cards and did it anyway, only because they were costing me huge sums of money in fees and such. My highest CL was a Visa with $1200 CL, 10.95 monthly fee and AF with NO grace period on my 23.99%  APR. All other cards were in the $300 or $400 CL range with APRs from 23.99 to 29.99%.

Now, I have a total of 5 cards I plan on keeping with my lowest new limit at $1000 (no annual fee 0% until 01/2008, then 11.99% APR), next is $1000 CL with 12.9% APR  and my highest is $3000 CL with 12.9% APR.  I do have a couple in the middle, one with $1500 CL with 0% for 6 mos.on BTs, then 20.24 APR and one with $2500 CL at 21.57 APR. But I am getting some 1.9% for life of transfer BT checks sent to me for this one.

Everything else is already gone or going (2 more) as soon as they are paid off (2-3 weeks). Five cards are plenty to raise scores. Even through my transition, my scores have gone down and then back up so that they started at TU 650 / EQ 635 / EX 603 and now are TU 678 / EQ 645 / EX 621. This is all in 6 weeks.

Thanks to the advice and help from all of you, I have everything I wanted except a gas card. I can't get approved for one of those because they all (or so it seems) go through Citi or Chase and they are not BK friendly). I will just live without one of those. I have also closed 3 store acounts and am seriously thinking about closing at least one of the remaining two that I have.

Anyway, enough is enough. I for one am done. Good luck to the rest of you and may you learn that sometimes (agreeing with fused and MV here) less is indeed more! 

Message 7 of 55
fused
Moderator Emeritus

So which CC shall we app for today, I say Junny!Smiley Very Happy
Message 8 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

When all the experts are saying keep only 1 or 2 credit cards, People in this website are going after cards as if they were addicted to crack!!Smiley Happy

Message Edited by Redamagon on 09-18-2007 01:20 PM
Message 9 of 55
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Another problem with a huge number of cards at once is the average age.  MY AA at the moment is 8 years - get 5 more new cards and it would drop like a stone, and take years to recover!

So I will let them age gracefully and gently nudge the CLs up every year or so  Smiley Happy
Message 10 of 55
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.