cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change of Address Question- how long to wait for new apps?

tag
Godwit1

Change of Address Question- how long to wait for new apps?

Hi everyone!

As some of you know based on my previous post, I was recently accepted for a Discover IT card with a limit of 2500 dollars after gardening for a few months! I moved less than three weeks ago and didn't realize that would be an issue when applying for the card, so that was an initial roadblock in getting approved and was quickly cleared up through recon.

This got me thinking, how long should I wait to apply for new cards to avoid this issue? I've changed my address across all my bank accounts and the DMV already, but that didn't prevent me from having an issue with Discover. I would like to diversify my portfolio since Discover isn't as widely accepted as MC or Visa and I want to get away from using my debit cards so much. I do have a CapOne MC but it's secured and I plan on closing it due to the 300 dollar limit, annual fee, and outrageous 22+% APR, and absolutely no benefits.

As of right now I only have the Discover inquiry on my report. I don't want to jump into apps too soon, this is just so I can give myself a time frame (3-6 months? longer?) Thanks for your help!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
newUser0
Established Contributor

Re: Change of Address Question- how long to wait for new apps?

Even I have changed my Address and Applied for 3 New Cards as soon as I came to New Address. 

Got approved on all three. If you have a good history, No baddies, low util etc. I think this should not be a problem.

Depending on what card you apply, I strongly suggest you to have atleast 6 Months time since the Last Credit Application.

Message 2 of 6
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

+1
Message 3 of 6
GTT
Regular Contributor

I have totally different stories. 2 out of 3 applications after that required proof of address.

Message 4 of 6
Godwit1

Yeah, discover originally asked for a photo of my drivers license but they don't send documentation of changes of address anymore, and my license doesn't need to be renewed until next year. They took a bank statement and I had no problems after that, but I don't want to go through that again! I want to apply for chase freedom and a travel rewards card, I just haven't decided which one. My problem is I have no way of knowing when my credit reports will be updated with my new address. I'd like to assume it'll be after my statements with my new address cut but I can't be sure.
Message 5 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

If you have updated your address with all your creditors, send a letter to each CRA with copy of bill or statement with current address and ask that all previous ones be deleted.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.