Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes to BA avios

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Changes to BA avios

Brazil for example forbids fuel surcharges by law. The US to my knowledge does not, but american programs don't have them
Message 11 of 23
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Brazil for example forbids fuel surcharges by law. The US to my knowledge does not, but american programs don't have them

I don't know if its an london thing with taxes and the such but two of the biggest fuel surcharge offenders are Virgin atlantic and BA who both fly thru LHR, i don't know if thats coincedence. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 12 of 23
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

Does this change actually impact what Avios are best at? I was reading the e-mail and it said partner flights (excl. iberia) would still have the same redemption...so how would this change impact those of us looking to use them for short, domestic flights?

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 13 of 23
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
The biggest devaluation in my opinion is on the earning side. The cheapest tickets will now earn only 25% of miles travelled, which is terrible. Considering this, i will probably switch to earning aa miles when i fly over the ocean.
Luckily the short haul domestics are the same. The vile thing is that they introduced lower avios off-peak awards but only on BA metal! Thanks but no thanks. When they stop charging the ridiculous fuel surcharges (oil is at an all time low!!!) i might consider it

Some governments are starting to look into this. Airlines are actually making a profit off the fuel surcharges at this point. It really is kinda sketchy and I think they avoid taxes on this as well. 

Many airline stocks going way up, pushed as the value play with the drop in oil.  Delta, SW, etc. CEOA's coming on CNBC saying they are not lowering rates, still make more profit.  Don't see this congressional session dealing with that, unless a lot of people complain.  But it is a boon for their stocks.

Signature needs updating
Message 14 of 23
red259
Super Contributor

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
The biggest devaluation in my opinion is on the earning side. The cheapest tickets will now earn only 25% of miles travelled, which is terrible. Considering this, i will probably switch to earning aa miles when i fly over the ocean.
Luckily the short haul domestics are the same. The vile thing is that they introduced lower avios off-peak awards but only on BA metal! Thanks but no thanks. When they stop charging the ridiculous fuel surcharges (oil is at an all time low!!!) i might consider it

Some governments are starting to look into this. Airlines are actually making a profit off the fuel surcharges at this point. It really is kinda sketchy and I think they avoid taxes on this as well. 

Many airline stocks going way up, pushed as the value play with the drop in oil.  Delta, SW, etc. CEOA's coming on CNBC saying they are not lowering rates, still make more profit.  Don't see this congressional session dealing with that, unless a lot of people complain.  But it is a boon for their stocks.

Well I'm not going to comment on the effectiveness of the US congress. Fortunately, other countries are taking a lead here and hopefully that will pressure others to follow. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 15 of 23
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Well I'm not going to comment on the effectiveness of the US congress. Fortunately, other countries are taking a lead here and hopefully that will pressure others to follow. 

All i can really add to this is large corportions like delta, aa, and UAL have more power than goverment does, so i don't see anything really being done about this. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 16 of 23
red259
Super Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

All i can really add to this is large corportions like delta, aa, and UAL have more power than goverment does, so i don't see anything really being done about this. 

Well its not US airlines doing it, so they probably would be in favor of BA and others getting hit by the government over this. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 17 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

The new deal works out better for me. I'm saving 20,000 BA point under the new rule. BA has always been short, domestic flights for me.
Message 18 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same here. I wasn't in it for long haul flights and still way cheaper than AA pts for short haul.

Message 19 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will never use BA points for long distance and international. The surcharge on international is outrageous.
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.