Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes to Discover student cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Changes to Discover student cards?

Hello everybody! I've read about the new Discover It Miles card over the past few days, and I saw Discover changed their website so that the "student card" is the Chrome version, with 2% back on gas and restaurants. I know that everybody can still apply for the Chrome, but do you think that they will change my student card, which is the regular It, to the Chrome version? I like the 5% categories as it is, especially for gasoline. Or do you think I'll be grandfathered in?

Also, is Discover still offering the old Miles by Discover card? Before I knew anything about credit, I applied for it and they offered me the student card instead. I don't think I've seen it in a while, but can you still get it? I might want to product change sometime in the very distant future...

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Re: Changes to Discover student cards?

A. I think your student card is safe from being transformed, but only guessing, a rep can better answer this question.

Haven't ever seen a miles by discover card, so I don't think you can get it, and word in the forum is they don't seem to product change (since they don't have a lot of products).
Signature needs updating
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

They still offer the Student It card with the 5% rotating categories.  See the bottom bit in my screenshot from the other day?  Student 5% back and non-student Chrome options are there.

As for the product offerings, I think the only thing they're offering as new accounts are It, It Chrome and It Miles so I don't know if they'll do a PC to an old product or not.  I suppose you could call and ask them.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, I don't think they will force you to change the product. Discover seems pretty good at keeping their legacy programs. You can, however, request a conversion if you are interested in any of the new cards.

Disocver IT with 5% is obviously a better deal since there are cards offering 2% on everything.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just went on Discover & I do see what you're talking about, but if you click the "Discover it Students" from the top drop down menu & scroll down, it lets you choose the 5% student it card also. I guess by default, it directs you to the chrome, but it IS optional. 

As for the miles card, for the first time since I've had Discover (almost a year) there's an option to apply for a Discover Miles card so I'm guessing that it's new? I don't know but I'm definitely looking into that right now because it has no annual fee.

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everybody! I've read about the new Discover It Miles card over the past few days, and I saw Discover changed their website so that the "student card" is the Chrome version, with 2% back on gas and restaurants. I know that everybody can still apply for the Chrome, but do you think that they will change my student card, which is the regular It, to the Chrome version? I like the 5% categories as it is, especially for gasoline. Or do you think I'll be grandfathered in?

Also, is Discover still offering the old Miles by Discover card? Before I knew anything about credit, I applied for it and they offered me the student card instead. I don't think I've seen it in a while, but can you still get it? I might want to product change sometime in the very distant future...

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.