Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes with Amex Premier Rewards Gold Card Pay Over Time

tag
tray
Valued Contributor

Changes with Amex Premier Rewards Gold Card Pay Over Time

Hi everyone, I noticed on my statment for this month with Amex premier rewards gold charge card it states a summary of changes effective January 1, 2013  your pay over time limit is $35,000.00, unless it's been previously reduced or increased, we will tell you if we change your pay over time limit.  Is Amex now reporting charge amounts for pay over time? I wonder if this is my actual charge amount limit.?  Has anyone who has a charge card with pay over time have a reporting charge limit as well on this month's statment. Be on the lookout thanks for any information.

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Changes with Amex Premier Rewards Gold Card Pay Over Time

There is a general limit of $35,000 for Pay Over Time.  It does not correspond to your internal spending limit in any way.  This limit has been around for awhile and Amex hasn't reported the Pay Over Time limit in the past, so I don't think so.

Message 2 of 10
TNTransplant
Established Contributor

@tray wrote:

Hi everyone, I noticed on my statment for this month with Amex premier rewards gold charge card it states a summary of changes effective January 1, 2013  your pay over time limit is $35,000.00, unless it's been previously reduced or increased, we will tell you if we change your pay over time limit.  Is Amex now reporting charge amounts for pay over time? I wonder if this is my actual charge amount limit.?  Has anyone who has a charge card with pay over time have a reporting charge limit as well on this month's statment. Be on the lookout thanks for any information.

Interesting...

I've got the Green card, and I received a letter from them last week telling me I was eligible for pay over time.  Based on your post, I just pulled up my statement and I had the exact same message re: the $35,000 limit.  If I had to guess, I would suspect this is a general statement for cardholders and is not my actual NPSL, as this is so variable per cardholder based on spend patterns, etc.  Would be nice, though. Smiley Happy

ETA:  Can't type as fast as koop!

Starting Score: Jan 2012: EQ - 659, TU08 - 670, EX - ???
Current Score:April 2014: EQ - 772, TU08 - 782, EX - 754
Last App:3/21/14

Message 3 of 10
n777ua
Established Contributor

I really like the POT feature.  I have used it in the past, and am using it now.  Its a great bene of the card.  The only drawback, of course, is that it is not a favorable APR.  I think its %18 for all cardmembers, irregardless of credit history.  But, if you want to make a large purchase and pay for it over 2-3 months and get the MR points for it, POT is the way to go.

About $215,000 total credit among 11 cards
Message 4 of 10
tray
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the updates, I do think though Amex wording is misleading, as it probably should say your pay over time limit may be up to $35,000!!!

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 5 of 10
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

All Amex charge cards, including the Centurion (yep!) card are limited to 35k pay over time. Limits can be smaller but that is the max. Amex securitizes the debt and sells it for working cash.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 6 of 10
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

@n777ua wrote:

I really like the POT feature.  I have used it in the past, and am using it now.  Its a great bene of the card.  The only drawback, of course, is that it is not a favorable APR.  I think its %18 for all cardmembers, irregardless of credit history.  But, if you want to make a large purchase and pay for it over 2-3 months and get the MR points for it, POT is the way to go.

I don't think it is 18% for all cardmembers.  Mine is 15.24% and I'm pretty sure I've seen posts by others indicating different APRs as well.

I only used it once (it was the sign & travel feature) about 15 or 16 years ago to purchase some last minute airline tickets.  It is tempting to use it though if I were to make a big purchase and wanted to stretch out the payments - using POT would not affect my UTL (except on the TU98 model).  And yes, the MR points would be nice, too!

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 7 of 10
Settemio
Regular Contributor

My rate isn't 18% as well. It is 12.24%. Actually one of the lower rates I have besides some 0% for 18 months... I use the POT featurdo often and pay it off in a few months... Get all the points too...

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

My rate is 15.24%, so they do vary.

Message 9 of 10
n777ua
Established Contributor

Sorry Guys !

You're right the APR does vary . . . sorry for the bad information in my earlier post.

About $215,000 total credit among 11 cards
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.