Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing One Card Type to Another

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Changing One Card Type to Another

I've seen several times on different finance related websites of people changing from one card type to another, say from a Visa with no rewards to a Visa card with rewards, without having to close the current account.  How does one do this?

I just turned 23 and have decent credit (according to CreditKarma, a 735)  I have 2 cards.  A Bank of America Student Platinum Plus card and an Amazon Rewards card.

The BoA card initially had a limit of $750 5 years ago when I was 18.  Shortly after opening, they raised it to $1200, which it was at since then.   I opened an Amazon card last year, with a limit of $1000.   Several weeks ago, I called in to BoA to get a CLI increase for the card, to which they upped it to $4000.  I called Chase to do the same with my Amazon card, bu they wanted to do a hard pull so I declined.  I typically pay my card off in full every month.

I typically always use the Amazon card as I get rewards from it.  I hate owing money / using credit, but I figured since I almost always pay off the balance in full every month, I might as well get some money back by using a card.    Issue is, I get no rewards from my BoA card, which means I never use it.  I don't want the card to close from inactivity, so I use it every couple of months... but I want rewards, which brings me to my question:

People say you can switch cards.  Am I able to do this with my BoA card, without closing the account?   Right now, my BoA card is a Platinum Plus card.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Guava
Established Contributor

Re: Changing One Card Type to Another

You can call BofA and inquire about product change, to see if you're eligible to any

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Product change!  That's what it's called, thanks! Smiley Very Happy

Now to decide which card I'd go for...  Any benefit to doing the AMEX Accelerated Rwards card even though you only get 1.25% as opposed to 2/3%?

Message 3 of 6
thebanjoman
Contributor

Unless I'm mistaken, most product changes are only available within the same network within the same issuer (i.e. BOA Visa can only become a different BOA Visa, BOA MC a different BOA MC...)

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@thebanjoman wrote:

Unless I'm mistaken, most product changes are only available within the same network within the same issuer (i.e. BOA Visa can only become a different BOA Visa, BOA MC a different BOA MC...)

I PC from a BankAmericard (visa) to an accelerated rewards (Amex)

Message 5 of 6
flyingmd
Frequent Contributor

I PC from Power Rewards VISA to accelrated rewards AMEX just last month. You may have to call a couple times to get a CSR to say yes to the PC you want. First time I called they said I couldnt change from VISA to AMEX. A month later and a different csr, they said no problem. Go figure! Good luck.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.